ATX Community

Registering 2nd EFIN.

J R Sandoval EA

Has anyone else been able to register a second EFIN. I am using Max, which comes with a 3 user license; however, for a week a have been trying to register a second EFIN without success. Customer service sent me to Sales, Sales sent me to Data Entry and now Data Entry sent me back to Customer Service (By the way, I already faxed them the request in writing with copy of the IRS letter).

Thanks

I think the license allows you to use the software on 3 computers, but not with different EIN's. Each license is for 1 practice. If they allowed you to use 3 EIN's, you could run 3 separate tax practices on one license, and I don't think that is what they have in mind when they say 3 users. At least that is how I interpreted the license agreement.

Tom

Lodi, CA

That's correct, you need to fax Data Entry the copy of your second EFIN's status. Along with a note that this needs to be setup as a SubOffice under your current client ID.

I was NOT allowed to do that at the firm I work for. We established a satellite office about 40 miles away. We wanted to use a second EFIN (the manager of the satellite office has one) to e-file from the satellite. I was told (for all it may be worth in the real world) by one person to fax a request letter on the company letterhead requesting the second EFIN to be added. We did just that.

Phone call about 1 hour later, a sales representative (not the same person I spoke to earlier) informed me that we were not allowed to do that. She said the satellite office needed its own software, and that the IRS considers EFIN's to be address specific as well. She went on to say that "This requirement is new for 2007 tax year."

This would mean another $1,500 for software for the satellite office.

So much for "Nothing changing" or "No hidden fees."

Just my experiences. I wish I could get straight (correct) answers from people at CCH. Maybe I am dreaming again...???

it must be a 'new' rule for them. I did help several people setup a second EFIN - for the same address, just a different name, before the layoffs occurred.

I thought that addresses didn't need to specific for the IRS. If a husband and wife both do taxes out of there home, aren't they both allowed to get a unique EFIN number ?

it must be a 'new' rule for them. I did help several people setup a second EFIN - for the same address, just a different name, before the layoffs occurred.

I thought that addresses didn't need to specific for the IRS. If a husband and wife both do taxes out of there home, aren't they both allowed to get a unique EFIN number ?

I finally talked to Barbara Jarrett in the sales department. She decided to relocate to Georgia. She and William are the only two from Caribou that relocated, so far. She also assists in the technical service center. She has been with ATX for over 5 years. She knows more about the program than all three of the tech support (?) people I spoke with put together. She gave me the straight answer to our dilema.

If you have an office in a separate location, you must have a second license agreement for each office. So, we (at the firm) spent an additional $1100+ for MAX.

If you want knowledgeable answers from the sales department, ask for Barbara Jarrett.