ATX Community

AICPA Tax Section

Yardley CPA

Hello All...received an email from the AICPA inviting me to join their "Tax Section" for a special price of $100. I'm wondering if anyone is a member of this group and, if so, what their thoughts are?

The email indicated that by joining you would receive the following benefits:

• Tax Practice Support – More than 400 pages of checklists, engagement letters and practice guides (a $160 value)
  • The Tax Adviser - The authoritative voice for news, analysis and guidance on state and federal taxes (Save $55 off subscription)
  • Regular Webcasts - Hot topics and practice guidance that matter to CPAs
  • Bi-weekly E-Alerts - The latest news and featured products with member discounts
  • Exclusive Discounts - Members save on tax related conferences and products such as $100 off the AICPA Conference on Tax Strategies for the High-Income Individual
  • Advocacy - Representation in Washington on issues specific to CPA tax practitioners
  • Section-only resources - such as client letters and analyses on important issues

I'm still a AICPA member but I keep asking myself why. I do get some insurance and discounts on KyCPA things by being a AICPA member. But I don't see much advantage in joining their additional sections and paying the additional membership dues. I subscribe to some other tax sources(PPC) and I get the CCH Intelliconnect (Express books, master tax guide, alerts, etc) thru my ATX program. I used to subscribe to AICPA's The Tax Adviser but I didn't find it all that helpful and I get better info from PPC's Deskbooks.

Like Randall, I have been a long time AICPA member primarily for the credential. I do get my insurance through that affiliation and probably will stay with the basic membership until I fully retire. I was a Tax Section member for years but decided a few years ago that my go-to resource was the deskbooks (now discontinued) and PPC Practitioners Tax Action Bulletins. I like having the loose leaf binders and online access to client letters should I choose to use them. The references are always listed, it comes every two weeks and has many benefits that suit me.

Like the rest of you, I continued to pay dues year after year to the AICPA. I've been a member since late 1987 and I finally dropped it this year seeing no real advantage for me to remain a member. I do have my malpractice, term life insurance, and a small disability policy through AON because of my membership. During this past year I found out that I can retain existing coverage as long as I'm still a member of a state society. I can't ever increase the coverage, but I can continue to have the insurance already in place.

jklcpa, that is great news about the ability to retain AON liability coverage without retaining AICPA membership! How did you discover that? I have dropped to 'retired' status for the state society by virtue of nearly halving my business when my other part-time CPA retired in 2010. I 'fired' the business clients for which she did bookkeeping on-site. The state dues are now much lower but AICPA is still painful. Did you contact AON about it or another means? Thanks!