ATX Community

New PTIN

MN dhawk

I think it has something to do with your status having changed. If you became a CPA or EA since originally receiving your PTIN, it has changed. I know the ones that start with P (as mine does) indicate preparers who have to take the test. I believe that the "P" probably stands for Peon.......or worse.

• Like 1

>>The IRS gave me a different PTIN this year.<<

If you're lucky, maybe that means they decided it was too much trouble to go after you for all those past years, so they're going to give you a fresh start! On the other hand, maybe it means they're putting you in a special category they can watch more closely! But most likely it just means they mixed you up with another tax preparer whose last name starts with the same four letters or something.

• Like 1

>>The IRS gave me a different PTIN this year.<<

If you're lucky, maybe that means they decided it was too much trouble to go after you for all those past years, so they're going to give you a fresh start! On the other hand, maybe it means they're putting you in a special category they can watch more closely! But most likely it just means they mixed you up with another tax preparer whose last name starts with the same four letters or something.

Scary, but it may be reality!!!!!