ATX Community

NT - Back-up hard drive failure

Kea

A few weeks ago, the drive I was using for my tax backups stopped "lighting up" - not sure if the problem has an easy fix or if it's completely toast. Drives aren't very expensive so I got a replacement.

What to do with the old one? It has confidential info on it if anyone can get it working. Is the best option a good hammer? It won't fit in the shredder (LOL)! My husband suggested target practice.

Obviously, I am open to creative suggestions after this last tax season! But legit solutions are also welcome. I don't want anyone to be able to get to this data.

1. Drill with 3/8 inch metal bit. Drill 1 inch from the center. Drill all the way through.

2. Disassemble. You will need a #9 torx bit. Once broken into, the data cannot be retreived. The platens (disk) inside are made from very hight quality steel and are mirror polished. Great converstaion pieces. There are some very nice strong magnets inside as well.

3. Target for your handgun practice.

Thanks! I think I might go for all 3! Disassemble 1st, then some pieces for target practice & some pieces for the sledge hammer (just a different tool for practicing).

Try your hammer on the disk and see just how tough it is!! We hang them on the fence around our garden for scaring away birds! You will see what I mean once you get it taken apart.

My wife made me clear out my morgue. Had to get rid of 47 computer carcasses. I removed all the hard drives to protect information. Have had a ton of fun with the magnets & disks.

Good strong magnet passed over those disks will do a LOT to destroy data. Several passes with magnets but be AWAY from good data disks (and videotapes, and cassette tapes, etc) when you do that.

Target practice is ALWAYS good.

Scratching surfaces with a diamond pencil will also help. Go radially as well as in circles.

Good luck!

Once you expose the disk to air, it will never be read again unless you use a laser reading device that costs thousands of dollars per hour to use. The drive is sealed to prevent even microscopic dust in. With the gap being only 3 nanometers (less than 1/4 the diameter of a smoke particle), any dust, fingerprints or anything, makes the disk unreadable.

• Like 1