ATX Community

15 CPE credits for $15

GeorgeM

... I find myself reaching for the calculator to add simple numbers and I no longer try to remember stuff like standard deductions, etc. since the computer does that for me. When someone asks me a question like that, I usually have to look it up (doesn't look very professional).

You could tell them you don't waste time remembering this stuff because you find it more prductive to devote all your mental energy to calculating their bill.

I've never been good at memorizing things. Remembering things by patterns, perhaps, just not memorizing. Sometimes, by April I can remember standard deductions and personal exemption amounts. But I do prefer to look them up when asked. I like Marilyn's suggestion to verify for "this year." But by now most of my clients know I don't remember those types of details. I always tell them that that is to their advantage regarding privacy issues. I won't accidently tell someone how much someone else earns -- I simply won't remember it!

For adding, I tend to do it manually then check on the calculator (or vice versa). I usually do better manually since I sometimes hit the wrong keys. But since I am very aware of my (lack of) typing skills, I always make sure to double and triple check my entries. It's weird, but I frequently "feel" when I type a wrong number, and can correct quickly.