ATX Community

15 CPE credits for $15

GeorgeM

I received the following e-mail this morning.

Greetings,

We would like to introduce you to Platinum Professional Services' newest course addition. We are so confident that you will be pleased with our tax course and extraordinary customer service that we are offering you a 15-hour IRS RTRP CE course for 15 dollars.

Did you know that Tax Preparers who have obtained a PTIN are required to fulfill 15 hours of IRS Continuing Professional Education annually?Our IRS RTRP CE Tax Courses include ten hours of federal tax law (IRS course #JK8E2-T-00001-12-S), three hours of current year tax changes (IRS course #JK8E2-T-00003-12-S) and two hours of ethics (IRS course #JK8E2-T-00002-12-S), per the required IRS guidelines for RTRPs.

Please visit our website PlatinumProStudies.com to purchase the 2012 IRS CPE 15 hours – Personal Income Tax Return course.

Use promo code IRS15 at checkout to receive the 2012 IRS CPE 15 hours - Personal Income Tax Return for 15 dollars.

Affordable

Our online tax courses are designed for busy people who want to simplify their education by immersing themselves in a subject matter at an affordable cost.

Effective

Our courses feature automatic grading, feedback on your missed questions, and reading material that can be accessed directly from the courses. Best of all, your Certificate of Completion is emailed to you immediately following the successful completion of the course. Platinum will also report your course completion to the IRS so that you can be assured of remaining in compliance as a RTRP.

Efficient

With Platinum Professional Services there is no confusion, only a direct path to success. Feel free to discover the most proficient way to deepen your education and be efficient, all while saving you time and money.

Here at Platinum Professional Services, we make it easy for you without any added obstacles. Everyone wants to simplify their life and finally, we have the way.

We look forward to serving you!

PlatinumProStudies.com

Interested in an IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer (RTRP) Test Prep Course that not only prepares you for the IRS Competency Test but also includes 15 Hours IRS Continuing Education credit? Click the link to learn more.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

You're right - their course was very basic. I learned a few things but nothing substantive. I will probably do some other CPE as well, but it is nice to get the 2012 requirement out of the way quickly. It takes the pressure off and enables me to concentrate on important stuff. Peace of mind for less than $30 - well worth it.

Good questions, but all that's covered.

Platinum is on the IRS list of approved CE providers - you can click on their link directly from the IRS list.

Although there will eventually be a process for CE providers to send info to IRS, right now IRS isn't geared up to receive it. No RTRP's CE is bring reported directly to IRS right now. So as of today, when a RTRP renews, the only requirement is that we self-certify that we have completed our CE.

Given all the above, here's my take. I have a printed certificate from Platinum (which every RTRP is supposed to keep for 4 years), it's from an approved provider, and I know I completed it in good faith, so I can self-certify and I'm done.

And in the worst-case scenario, even if all this was wrong, I'm still ahead. Even if I later learned I'm out $27.95, I've still jumped through the hoops and I did learn a few things. That doesn't rise to the level of an expensive mistake in my book.

My courses with Tax Insight next month have already assured that they will be informing the IRS directly when we have completed the course. They have to have your PTIN on registration. I have been with them since 1996 for CE and they always give a certificate. Where on the PTIN renewal website does it give you the option to self-certify compliance?

Continuing Education Credit Information

The WISCONSIN ANNUAL INCOME TAX COURSE includes TWO HOURS OF ETHICS CREDIT.

Participants receive a Completion Certificate to be used as proof of attendance in applying for continuing education credit. Tax Insight reports Continuing Education hours to the IRS for Registered Tax Return Preparers (RTRP's) and Enrolled Agents (EA's).

I'm not making this up about the self-certifying :)

Is isn't a matter of self-certifying being an option - fact is it's the only game in town.

Just look at the CE section of the renewal instructions.

Also look down this FAQ page about 1/3 of the way - the bold type beginning with the word "*NEW*"

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/CE-FAQs:-I-am-a-Tax-Professional

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And this from Platinum:

" Recently, the IRS has received a number of certificates of completion directly from tax preparers. Please note the you do NOT need to submit their certificates of completion to the IRS . Platinum will submit the information on your behalf within 10 business days. Even though preparers don’t have to submit their certificates to the IRS, per Circular 230,Registered Tax Return Preparers, Enrolled Agents, and Enrolled Retirement Plan Agents must retain their records of continuing education for four years. The IRS reporting system has begun but the IRS has stated that is not fully operational. For 2012, the student will "self-certify" that they have completed 15 hours of continuing education or will complete by 12/31/2012. You will not be able to verify that your completion has been reported for the 2012 continuing education requirement. For 2013, the reporting system will be completed, and there will be an online procedure to verify education. This system will not be operational until sometime after January 2013 for the 2013 Continuing education requirement.

Please Note: The IRS will perform an audit in January 2013 and ask a certain number of preparers to send in a copy of their Certificate of Completion."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So does this mean that Platinum is in error and I wasted my $27.95, or are some of the high-priced CE providers just not bothering to fully inform their students?

Sorry, John, due to other commitments, I have not visited the PTIN renewal page lately. Last time I was there, I was still provisional. Tonight I am listed as an RTRP. I took your advice and was able to go through the process and renew my PTIN for another year without CE first. The moot question was Have you or do you intend to complete.................? Thanks for another load off my tired mind. I have no doubt that the IRS will be checking. At the same time, I have no regrets about signing up for the two day CE classes that I have. I have done so for many years when it was not required and find it to be both helpful and necessary. They have speakers from both the IRS and the State and I have always felt that if I learn just one new thing, it is worth it. Of course, I always learn more than one thing. It is also a great two days of interaction with other preparers. This is a really nice tool for preparers, like myself, who work alone.

So if in 2013 and future years the IRS will be monitoring CE before issuing or renewing PTIN's, does that mean you will not be able to renew your PTIN until you have completed all of the required CE for the year? Or at least the 15 hours required for RTRP's? I usually renew my PTIN early, even if I still have a class or two to go to meet the 26 hours that I need.

Thank you ALL - -I have been periodically checking my IRS site - -and had been listed as Provisional - -also used the Platinum for 2012 - -just to get the requirements over & sent to the IRS. Lo and behold - -I checked after reading John & MCB - -I am now REGISTERED - -and ready for renewal - - -DONE until next year -- - -YAY!!!!!

So if in 2013 and future years the IRS will be monitoring CE before issuing or renewing PTIN's, does that mean you will not be able to renew your PTIN until you have completed all of the required CE for the year? Or at least the 15 hours required for RTRP's? I usually renew my PTIN early, even if I still have a class or two to go to meet the 26 hours that I need.

I was able to renew my PTIN last night even though I have not done CE yet. The question they ask is whether you have or intend to complete CE before Dec 31, 2012. The PTIN login page has changed drastically since the last time I visited (as Terry also found out). I wasn't going there because I was so tired of seeing "provisional" long after I received my RTRP cert in May. So, yes, you can renew your PTIN prior to taking the CE, which was a huge surprise to me.

I was able to renew my PTIN last night even though I have not done CE yet. The question they ask is whether you have or intend to complete CE before Dec 31, 2012. The PTIN login page has changed drastically since the last time I visited (as Terry also found out). I wasn't going there because I was so tired of seeing "provisional" long after I received my RTRP cert in May. So, yes, you can renew your PTIN prior to taking the CE, which was a huge surprise to me.

But will that still be the case in 2013? Or do we know yet?

I will reiterate my opinion about the whole PTIN registration and RTRP program. It is just a money grab. My RTRP status and certificate is a high priced paper to give me bragging rights only. I can now put those letters behind my name, I have NO additional rights or privileges with the IRS.

Even though I am complying, it is just another way to milk money out of those people who are being honest and ethical taxpayers with absolutely nothing in return.

The idea that the IRS will ever be able to police the CPE credits is another fantasy. Currently, E.A.'s only self-certify when renewing every three years. The number of E.A.'s is a fraction of the registered PTIN holders. You do the math.

I agree, Jack, almost word for word.

I am complying because I want to continue to do what I have already done for many years without being policed. I do also greatly resent the fact that supervised employees do not have to comply. I WAS a supervised employee many years ago and know that my "supervisor" did no more than glance through the return before signing it. Who is going to make sure that every CPA, EA, RTRP and Attorney who has preparers working for their firms, is going to do a thorough check of every return prepared? How could they possibly monitor this? And, what is going to change at the HRB, Liberty and other chains? How is this lack of censure supposed to make the rest of us feel?

• Like 1

Thanks GeorgeM. I ordered the course and used the promo code and got it for $15.00. JohnH, your posts prompted me to try it and I have found the first lesson to be very easy. This is a very cheap and quick way to get the needed CPE. I am using the Fast Forward Academy course to prepare for the RTRP test. My main concern in passing the test is that I can't remember form numbers, code sections, etc. When I prepare a return, I am constantly looking that information up and it takes me longer to prepare a return than it does most people. They say that something happens to you when you get old, but I can't remember what it is.

I don't remember there being any questions regarding form numbers. I think I might remember something like that since I, too, have trouble remembering form numbers. As long as I can link to the appropriate form from the software, I don't worry too much about it.

Gene: Here's a suggestion to move through it faster. For each part, go directly to the quiz and answer all of the questions you know. Save those answers without submitting. Then read the material for the test. Doing it this way will help you focus on learning answers to the questions to which you didn't know the answer at first. Then go back and finish the quiz & submit your answers. You'll learn more this way and save lots of time in the process. You'll also score higher - 70% is passing but I think 90-95% is a reasonable expectation for this material for anyone preparing returns on a regular basis. This may not work for everyone, but for me it's a real time saver and it isn't cheating or dishonest. It's a matter of using the tools at your disposal and learning the most possible.

Thanks John. I'll try that on the rest of the quizs. I did make 95% on the first quiz but I did guess at 2 of the questions that asked about form numbers and got those 2 right. I am pretty good at guessing.

Kea, computers and calculators have ruined me. I find myself reaching for the calculator to add simple numbers and I no longer try to remember stuff like standard deductions, etc. since the computer does that for me. When someone asks me a question like that, I usually have to look it up (doesn't look very professional).