ATX Community

How long until you can efile a new EIN?

joanmcq

Got a corp an EIN on Thursday to do back filings from 2009 to 2011. The 2009 efile came back rejected due to the 'corp name needing to match the EIN on file with efle'. I didn't try 2010, since I figured it would reject as well.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the IRS to update the system? I can't efile CA until the Fed efiles due to CA regs, and there is a demand letter from CA for the 2010 return.

Got a corp an EIN on Thursday to do back filings from 2009 to 2011. The 2009 efile came back rejected due to the 'corp name needing to match the EIN on file with efle'. I didn't try 2010, since I figured it would reject as well.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the IRS to update the system? I can't efile CA until the Fed efiles due to CA regs, and there is a demand letter from CA for the 2010 return.

Paper file is your only option. No efile for EIN issued in 2012. Had the same situation with an EIN on a 2011 return.

Jack, was that a back filing (these are 2009 & 2010 returns)? on another board someone was able to efile a retun for a corp whose EIN was received in early May. But again, that may have been a 2011 return, not an old one.

I'm still getting used to the idea of being able to efile back years. I don't do many entities.

Jack, was that a back filing (these are 2009 & 2010 returns)? on another board someone was able to efile a retun for a corp whose EIN was received in early May. But again, that may have been a 2011 return, not an old one.

I'm still getting used to the idea of being able to efile back years. I don't do many entities.

It does not matter what year the return is. Cannot e-file a return in 2012 with an EIN obtained in 2012.

The direct answer to your question is: Jan 15, 2013

It does not matter what year the return is. Cannot e-file a return in 2012 with an EIN obtained in 2012.

On another board someone was able to efile a retun for a corp whose EIN was received in early May. But again, that may have been a 2011 return, not an old one.

I'm that someone. To clarify, I sucessfully e-filed two 2011 Fiduciary returns (1041's) on May 21 for entities that had obtained their EINs approximately May 8. The difference between my case and yours may be that the entities (testamentary trust and estate) retroactively came into existance as of the date of death (which was in 2011). Or it could be that the1041's were e-filed using the legacy system while corporations use MeF.

[Actually I was suprised that mine went through. I had the client also sign paper copies just in case. My only prior experience had been with 1040's, where the EIN must have existed during the previous year.]

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the answer is: it takes about two weeks to process the EIN, because I came back from vacation Saturday, tried them again and the efiles were accepted Sunday night for federal and Monday for CA.

So Jack, sorry, but you are wrong. :P

I will enjoy every moment of chastening from you!! Makes the punishment more tolerable when an intelligent, thinking and pleasant woman is dishing it out.