ATX Community

941-X filing

Catherine

Have a corporate client who (mildly) mucked up their payroll and 941s.

I have 941-X's all prepared and ready to mail.

When I file an amended 1040, I prepare a 1040X and attach the "as amended" 1040 and the "as originally filed" 1040 (all clearly marked with highlighter). Was taught to do this years ago as even though they generally say "just send the schedules with changes" the first thing they do upon receipt is ask for all the rest, as well. Have never had a request for further information doing it this way, for years.

But I have never had to file a 941-X.

Should I include copies of the "as amended" and "as originally filed" 941s as well?

TIA,

Catherine

I disagree. As a prior IRS auditor, all I ever wanted was what was requested. The only time I ever had to get additional information was when the required information, docs or forms where not originally provided or unclear. Additional information just gummed up the works and slowed down what I was doing because I had to wade through it to ensure some info that was necessary was not buried in the nonrequested information,

Different strokes... I distinguish between excess, mixed up client information that is disorganized and voluminous from clearly marked orderly highlighted or red marked pages stating (I have a stamp) DO NOT PROCESS ATTACHMENT TO FORM 1040X ONLY or 940. If the amended form is on the top, the auditor, agent, even the client is free to pay attention only to that and disregard and/or discard any and all other documentation deemed superfluous or irrelevant.

Different strokes - I have yet to be reprimanded, chastised or otherwise corrected for doing this. On the other hand, I have had relatively few amended returns of any kind.

• Like 1

I did put on the grown-up clothes and looked just fine I think.

The talk, however, got postponed to next month. The guy in charge had a family emergency and as a result their schedule changed and notifying me slipped through the cracks somehow. Not too far from here so I just lost a bit of travel time.

Anyone who wants to see one of my talks can see a couple of recorded ones at my web site, www dot constitutiondecoded dot com .

I am wearing clothing in all the videos. Sorry, Tom. ^_^