ATX Community

Filing w/out W-2

HV Ken

H&R Block has run commercials in years past that could be misinterpretted (possibly intentionally) to suggest you don't need your W-2. I think it was the same year they did the "I got people" campaign. Of course, what they were actually advertising is they were able to load W-2's off one of the large payroll companies systems and Walmart and some others. They were just getting the W-2 directly (with taxpayer permission) not preparing a return without a W-2. Could be a similar situation here? Would be easy enough to call the local office of whatever chain and ask for more info.

So if they download the W-2 directly, how do they meet the requirement of having to maintain a copy of the W-2 ?

EROs must retain the following material until the end of the calendar year at the business address from which it originated the return or at a location that allows the ERO to readily access the material as it must be available at the time of IRS request.

• Copies of Forms W-2, W-2G and 1099-R;

They download and print the W-2 from employers who load them to a portal-like service. You need your client's permission and password. I have a client who works for Home Depot who comes in fairly early each year; she's printed out her own W-2 or does it from my computer when she gets here. I believe we got her mother's unemployment form also from CT when she came in. I save paperwork in electronic client folders if I receive it electronically, and hope to scan in all paperwork this year. But, I print a copy to attach to Form 8879, as well as one for the client if we're getting it via my computer so she has a copy in her folder to take home.

So when Jackson Hewitt says "no w-2 needed" it is really just a matter of semantics as they are actually getting and printing their w-2 electronically, and they are not filing off their last paystub. That would be nice if ATX supported that!

It is not a tax software function. The preparer goes to the appropriate site and downloads the W-2, then prepares the return.

I had someone call me Monday and ask if I could fill out her return with a check stub and I told her that was illegal according to 1345. And no I could not and would not fill her return that way. Anyway we cann't file untill they open up the efill on the 25th. I have in the past as a favor to some clients that do not have the internet download their W-2 from their company portal. I live in a very small town and not everone here has the internet believe it or not. Some are older clients, too.

WASHINGTON -- The Internal Revenue Service says late changes to federal tax laws should mean only a short delay for most taxpayers to file their 2012 returns.

The agency said Tuesday that more than 120 million taxpayers – about 80 percent of all filers – should be able to start filing their federal returns on Jan. 30. Others will have to wait until late February or March to file because the agency needs time to update and test its systems.

Those who will have to wait include people claiming residential energy credits, depreciation of property or general business credits. The filing season had been slated to start Jan. 22 but was delayed because of the big tax package passed by Congress Jan. 1.

Wonder how many of those early filers will see Jan 30 as a SLIGHT delay?

What a lot of chains do around here is advertise that they can get you a fast refund with just your last pay stub. What they then do is complete an "ESTIMATE" of your refund (sometimes even using prior year tax program/forms) and then provide a loan (RAL) to the taxpayer...of course chargring a large fee. The client usually signs away and never sees their actual refund...it goes direct to the chain. I had one young kid come in last year to see if I could help him (I could not because it was too late) because he went into an "Instant Refund" place with his last pay stub....They estimated his refund at $350....he walked out with a check for $190. Lesson Learned....a fool and his money...

I have many clients who work for major companies in US that do NOT issue paper W2. Instead they post it to a company intranet or a portal where the employee can download, print or forward to a tax preparer. I think in another 5 years you will not see any paper W2.

we all can prepare a tax return with the December last paycheck stub, BUT we can NOT file or transmit. These big box franchises use that to lock the taxpayer. They will transmit just like the rest of us on 30th.

I just booked 2 appointments for this weekend!