ATX Community

locks on file cabinets

grandmabee

does everyone have locks on their file cabinets. I am planning on getting them this year but wondering about keys. When I talked to office supply store they said each would have a different key I want to avoid having 7 different keys. how is everyone else handing this? do you have locking file cabinets? TIA

I never buy a filing cabinet unless it has a lock. What is the point of getting a filing cabinet if you don't have a lock. Anyone in your office or the cleaning crew can walk away with your client files and other private data. We have a signout sheet on each filing cabinet. If a file is removed it must be logged.

If you buy a decent filing cabinet your friendly locksmith can change the cylinder to operate with a comon key.

We have been using scanning technology to reduce paper files so our newer clients are almost 90% paperless, except for certain doc's that don't scan well.

I guess I march to a different drummer. I have dead-bolt locks on all of the exterior doors and a motion detecting security system that monitors things when I am not here. My wife and I do our own cleaning. OH - and probably the biggest thing, most of our file cabinets are relatively empty anyway. Being digital takes care of alot of these issues.

Is your security system one that is monitored by ADT or someone or is it one that reports to you? I hate to pay the big bucks to ADT when I can only deduct a small portion for my office in home. We have dead bolts on all of the exterior doors and I definitely feel my information is safer here than at my old office where they did have doors kicked in and someone was always leaving the front door unlocked or propped open.

Guardian Protection gets notified immediately of a breach and a very loud siren is activated and Guardian immediately calls law enforcement and then me - in that order. When we initially installed the system (for the first few months) I was awakened in the middle of the night by a call from Guardian several times and met the police here more than just a few times and always a false alarm.. It seemed to be the same sensor and Guardian swore it was not a bad sensor. So i camped out right underneath that sensor one night and waited. What did I find? The heating register was blowing straight up underneath the window with such force that it was moving the valances just a little - just enough to trigger the alarm. I was pleased as punch that the alarm was that sensitive. We re-directed the air flow and the problem went away. Is it a perfect system? None is - but it serves my purposes.

I always buy my filing cabinets from Office furniture auctioneers. These guy buy up all the office furniture from large corporations that are closing (there is a glut of this stuff). Two years back I picked up steelage filing cabinet (the wide kind) for $50 each and padded swivel chairs for $10. Little bit of furniture cleaner and Rustoleum spray paint ($5 a can)made it look brand new by my son.

My steelage desk (circa 1985) still looks new and I think I paid $100 at the auction.

Don't get suckered into buying brand new furniture at Staples or Office Depot. Have you seen the quality (all junk plastic) and the price.