ATX Community

TaxExact Problems/Issues

TaxMan74

Nellie,

Did the version 12 fix the issue you were experiencing?

Okay - this is strange - I have the correct name now on the Dependent tab in Interview mode and on the Client Information Sheet - HOWEVER it has defaulted back to the taxpayer last name on the Return Information sheet as well as on the 1040 and the Sch EIC in Form Peek. So, I guess we are about half way there??

Nellie

jUST DID A FRESH CLEAN REINSTALL OF UPDATE 11 AND THEN 12 AND THEN ALSO ADOBE. I HAD DELETED MY PREVIOUS TEST CASES WHEN I UNINSTALLED SO IHAVE TO RECREATE THEM TO TEST MY PRIOR CONCERNS.

I JUST PROFORMAED MY FIRST APPOINTMENT FOR SAT (2 W2 AND SCH A, CHILD CARE), NONE OF THE PRIOR YR DATA COMES OVER. ALL I SEE IS 2 BLANK W2, NO EMPLOYER NAME NOTHING. THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF TAXPAYER AND DEPENDENT IS PREFILLED ON CLIENT INFO SHEET. IT IS LIKE A BRAND NEW RETURN.

THIS RETURN DOES NOT HAVE SCH C OR 8829 SO I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT THAT FOR THIS ONE. HOWEVER HE DID GET STATE REFUND LAST YR AND THE CHILD CARE PROVIDER INFO I NEED.

ALSO MY STATE MA IS STILL NOT UPDATED IN THIS SOFTWARE, THOUGH THE STATE HAS BEEN LIVE FOR A WEEK AND ACCEPTING E-FILES.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THE STATE RETURN ON SAT. I AM NOT LOOKING TO E-FILE ANYTHING UNTIL 3OTH.

ARE YOU GUYS ABLE TO PROFORMA PRIOR YR DATA?

IF PRIOR YR DATA IS NOT IN THIS UPDATE WHEN WILL THAT COME OVER. THAT IS MY PRIORITY NOW BECAUSE I GOT TO START THE RETURNS ON SAT.

TRX CAN YOU PLEASE POST HERE WHEN WE WILL SEE PRIOR YR DATA? AND STATE OF MA. I MUST HAVE ASKED THAT QUESTION A DOZEN TIMES AND GET NO ANSWER.

I just started working on my first real return. MFJ, one child, 2 W2s, 2 1098s, RE tax, sales tax, vehicle sales tax, amortized points.

When I proformaed, I could not find it in the client list. I proformaed again and said "yes" I want to overwrite. That time it was in the list.

Question - what's the secret? Do we need to proforma twice for all of them?

Names, SSNs, phone #s, address all came over correctly.

New return did show 2 W2s, but employer info did not come over. Inputting EINs did bring in employer info. Another note - both blank W2s defaulted to taxpayer, when one is for the spouse.

Comment - while it's not too big a deal to enter EIN, I would like it to bring in the prior W2 info as a double check to make sure client has all W2s. (When there is one in the prior year not in the current, I ask if they still worked for them the next year.)

Schedule A -

Form defaults to income tax. I can select sales tax, but only for Actual receipts. The optional sales tax table is grayed out. Also no links for adding vehicle sales tax. When this form is active, it would also be nice to show detail of which mortgage companies are included (as mentioned previously). Would be nice if it could bring in prior year detail to make sure all 1098s are received. Many of my clients have more than one 1098.

Pleasant surprise - it brought in the amortized points!!! I have very few of these and would probably have not thought to check and entered.

So, for this fairly easy return, my only big issue is the sales tax. That is a MUST HAVE in Texas since we don't have an income tax. All my itemizers use this.

I read Terry's note that Doug has stopped responding to this board. I'll say I'm disappointed but that I do understand his reasoning. I really appreciated his input to our questions and concerns. Now I'll go mail my post to Doug.

Kea, e-mailing your concerns to Doug is a good thing to do. I don't think Doug is shying away from the board, but has too much on his plate to deal with and responding here seems to take up more time than he is willing to give right now. I'm sure we will see him here later.

I like your point on the sales tax on Sch A. Because I am in NC, my first glance was why not a default to income tax as most folks are better off using that deduction. But, in TX, FA and TN that is a horse of a different color. Maybe there is a way to change the default and if so, I am sure Doug will let you know. Nice to see others are making progress. On the proforma issue, I had to proforma some of the twice as well. Even my own return didn't show the first time. Now, before that becomes another issue for abuse, when I re-entered all of my clients into 2011 TaxWorks after a windows re-install, I had to do them twice as well. Computers are wonderful when everything works the way we want it to. They have spoiled us so much that we forget the days of paper and pencil returns. What could we possible have had to complain about?

Kea, I knew that this day would come soon that Doug would stop responding. He stopped responding to me long time back. There are no updated notes etc of what is going on on their website. Communication from TRX just plain sucks. I can not deal with a company that is going to be so secretive.

As you noted the proforma just brings the very basic client info (name address, ss# etc.) That is NOT acceptable at this late stage. I do NOT want to enter all the other data for carryover when I am doing 2012 return. Heck if I had to do that over again I might as well get TaxAct for 599 and reenter (they do not do conversion) and I can print both Federal and state and give the client a decent copy.

I am really really disappointed that TRX has let us down this year and made this tax season so stressful on top of what IRS did. I can live with certain forms being blocked because IRS has not approved, BUT I can not excuse that we cant see 2011 data today!!!

I feel like TaxExact is coming along. Would I have liked it to be better at this point? Sure, but at least it is being improved and Doug has made some (many even?) of the improvements that were suggested here and he promised would be in the software.

While my first tech support experience didnt go verry well I am partly to blame for not checking that I had the return backed up properly first. Alos, I should have tested what happens when a form is deleted, not saved, and then reopend and I would have known that the software does save without clicking the save button .... TaxWorks was the same way.

Hopefully the major bugs in the most used schedules and forms will be worked out this month.

Of course I noticed Doug's absence from this board and was concerned in light of the missing promissed updates on Monday and Tuesday but his time is probably better spent on the product than debating it here at this late date. Its good to know that he is responding to emails but I myself would only email him if it were a critical issue that wasnt resolved after a couple attempts and a day or so with tech support. JMHO

Crank I salute your optimism, but as I said before I can not excuse the fact that I can't view or verify 2011 data in proforma other than name address etc. I have full day appointments on Sat and I just can not take that risk. I do not have the faith that you have with this software. I have been burned before on conversions so now I always verify 100% of carryforwards before even starting 2012.

Since I can't do that today, I seriously doubt that it will be there tomorrow and not have bugs because Sat the game begins. No time to practice and perfect!

I am looking into backup options that will cost me significant amount of money, BUT I can not risk my reputation or the accuracy of my clients returns, trusting this TRX software, which as I said before is NOT a professional quality software that we have come to expect!!!

I wish all of you a successful tax season and hopefully you will still be sane and profitable when it all ends in a few months. Good bye!

I sent my comments to Doug right after I posted them here -- just after midnight (central time). He responded at 3 AM and gave me permission to post his response:

--------------

Proforma Question: what's the secret? Do we need to proforma twice for all of them?
Honestly we did a very poor job on proforma and we are continuing to enhance the proformance now. The theory is that
we did not want the clients all in the open return client grid incase the tax payer did not come back this year and the client would only show once you went to new return and typed the SSN in then you would be asked if you would like to proforma this client from last year. The other way you could have gotten all your client to show instead of doing proforma twice is to have gone to User Return Maintenance and clickedon Reindex and this would have made all the returns show in the Open Return Client Grid.
As far as the W2 we are working to bring the EIN over and the W2 is only auto filled one the EIN is typed into the W2. I will have to check with my conversion developers to see what the plan is on having the W2's show up when you click on line 7 of the 1040 and allow you to choose the W2.
Schedule A:
Problem: The optional sales tax table option is grayed out. Also no links for adding vehicle sales tax. I know this has come up before and had hoped it would be fixed by update 12. When do you anticipate this will be fixed?
This is one of the highest prioirty issues we are working on and I am anticiapting it be corrected by .13 release, however I had hoped to have had this done in .12 but it was not corrected.
Comment: When this form is active, it would also be nice to show detail of which mortgage companies are included (as mentioned previously). Would be nice if it could bring in prior year detail to make sure all 1098s are received. Many of my clients have more than one 1098.
I cannot promise this for this tax season but I can tell you it will be this way next year. If throughout the tax season you find additional items that would help us all please email me these so we can compile a list of enhancements for us to do through the off season.
I am working on getting the Sales tax issue fixed and as Texas, Tennessee is the same with no State Income tax but sales tax is a big deal. This will be corrected.
Sincerely,
Doug Hughes
--------------
He brings up a good point about not wanting all the proformaed returns to be in the return manager in case that client doesn't show up this year. Once more of the bugs are worked out of the proforma I do plan to start on this for all clients to make sure I have all the info. I know from previous conversions that the asset history is always a nightmare. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do to separate the proformaed returns from the ones I'm actually working on. When converting to TaxWorks, I could use a separate folder. I no longer remember what I did for previous conversions.
When I commented back to him that I was surprised he responded at 3 AM, he said they are currently working 24 hours per day and that he somehow managed to work 25 yesterday.

I hate to burst the bubble but that is a lame excuse that the proforma is not working right because as per TRX "The theory is that we did not want the clients all in the open return client grid incase the tax payer did not come back this year".

Give me a break! All the major software allow proforma for all the clients from the prior year. If a client does NOT come back this year the solution is a simple click to delete the client. What about a lot of us who do NOT bulk proforma but only do one client at a time as appoints are booked.

I am glad that Doug finally said that they did a very poor job with the proforma this year. I have been saying that since the day I got that CD.

So Doug it is time to man up and issue refunds to those of us who will NOT be using your software this year because we do not believe it is a professional quality software and we were totally misled when we renewed.

I will be expecting my refund from TRX soon!

I wish you all the best for future years with this software but this year it has totally disappointed many of us.

I hate to burst the bubble but that is a lame excuse that the proforma is not working right because as per TRX "The theory is that we did not want the clients all in the open return client grid incase the tax payer did not come back this year".

Give me a break! All the major software allow proforma for all the clients from the prior year. If a client does NOT come back this year the solution is a simple click to delete the client. What about a lot of us who do NOT bulk proforma but only do one client at a time as appoints are booked.

I am glad that Doug finally said that they did a very poor job with the proforma this year. I have been saying that since the day I got that CD.

So Doug it is time to man up and issue refunds to those of us who will NOT be using your software this year because we do not believe it is a professional quality software and we were totally misled when we renewed.

I will be expecting my refund from TRX soon!

I wish you all the best for future years with this software but this year it has totally disappointed many of us.

Taxed, what software did you buy?. I'm looking for a back-up too . TaxAct won't work out since I need business module

Taxed, Doug did not admit that he did a poor job on the software, he admitted he did a poor job on the proforma part of it and you jumped right on it. Have you never done a poor job on a particular part of your job? I have. If you aren't happy with the software, you have the option to move on. Why do you feel that you need to keep bashing it over and over and over? Yes, there are problems with the software but I have confidence that it will be fixed. If it isn't, then I will have to do something else. Look at the problems ATX is having. My understanding is that the other companies are having problems too. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

Thanks Gene for your post. I have said the same thing a couple of times that enough is enough. I don't know what it will take for some to realize that continued bashing is not going to make anyone in any situation act faster. I sure would hate to be one of their clients if things didn't go their way. Now, what about a professional response and handling of their current situation? Speaks a mouthful to me. As suggested MOVE ON if you want to move on.

<<<<<He brings up a good point about not wanting all the proformaed returns to be in the return manager in case that client doesn't show up this year.>>>>> I agree with this totally. I don't want to see all of the returns in the return manager at one time. It is easier to proforma them in one at a time. That way, I can see who has come in and who hasn't. Easier to keep track of the status as well.

Hooray!! The dependent last name problem appears to be corrected!

Now, I need the EIC fixed. I only have 1 child and the EIC Form shows that child in column 1 (with correct name) but, the year of birth is in column 3. And the figures being used by the program are still from 2011. Hope this is fixed soon as the earlier clients are normally the ones with EIC and I have a mess of them scheduled for Feb. 2.

I must thank my doctor for increasing my blood pressure meds, it has been very helpful the past few weeks. :spaz:

Nellie

Taxed, Doug did not admit that he did a poor job on the software, he admitted he did a poor job on the proforma part of it and you jumped right on it. Have you never done a poor job on a particular part of your job? I have. If you aren't happy with the software, you have the option to move on. Why do you feel that you need to keep bashing it over and over and over? Yes, there are problems with the software but I have confidence that it will be fixed. If it isn't, then I will have to do something else. Look at the problems ATX is having. My understanding is that the other companies are having problems too. Enough is enough.

I'd say the big difference is that the other companies are giving 100% REFUNDS because they recognize their software isn't up to par. TRX is refusing to do so because they have provided software which meets their standards. Any issues will be fixed at their schedule.

Have you used Tax Exact before? I purchased it years ago and it never worked. If I had known I was getting this shipped to me, I'd have never signed on again. But as Doug has made clear, that's the risk you take when you deal with TRX.

If you don't want people bashing your product, give them their money back. It's not difficult.

Gene I have moved on. I no longer care what happens to TRX software as long as I get my refund! Let's just be clear about something. TaxWorks and CCH are offering refunds to their customers who want a refund. Let's see if your new found pal Doug does that for TRX customers who are not happy with TRX 2012 software. If he does refund 100% I will come back on this blog and publicly thank him for doing right by the customer.

In my own tax practice, a few times I have made mistakes of not double checking my part time staffs work during rush season, and in every case when there was a issue I took responsibility and refunded the fees. If there was interest and penalties I paid them. That is how I run my business! So don't be lecturing me about business ethics!

As you said enough is enough. I have moved on, all I care now is getting my refund for the purchase price of a totally useless software!