ATX Community

TRX Refunds

Taxpreparer007

Okay, the TRX software is a working software. I have already completed one individual 1040 return without the State. The fact that my State forms are not ready, doesn't fall on TRX. The fact that multiple congressional changes took place January 2 that has caused IRS delays and numerous problems with each and every software company in their attempt to have their program's up and running by the time filing season begins is not the fault of TRX. There have been several posts on the general board about other software companies and their issues as well. I have seen this happen in the past and if certain forms aren't ready that the IRS has released, no one and no software company can process those forms and the IRS doesn't make exceptions to HRB and JH to take care of them first regardless of what they advertise.

If you want a refund, call TRX or e-mail Doug to start the process. All the negativity on this board doesn't help anyone. Yes, Doug does answer his e-mails. He didn't even know who I was or that I existed until two weeks ago. I sent him an e-mail regarding installation problems with 2011 after a windows re-install. Doug did go out of his way to ensure that I was taken care of and even had one of his best tech's call me to get me up and running with every issue that I had at the time. Like the rest of you, I am waiting on the next update and do I expect the program to be 100% and the best thing since mom's apple pie??? No I don't. What I do expect is when a problem is discovered that it is addressed and fixed which I am sure it will be.

Just stop and think about it. If you were having a computer problem in your office that caused processing returns to go haywire, would you want your clients burning you at the stake for it or would you want them to be understanding and have some patience? Better yet, what if you had a client who you made a mistake and you did everything you could to right the wrong, went on a public discussion board and burned you, turned you in to the BBB, and told everyone they meet what kind of a non-working, inexperienced, no good @$%^^ you were and that you couldn't process anything if your life depended on it and just goes on and on. We have all had these kind of clients so now, put yourself in Doug's shoes. I like quite a few of us received a different software than what I pre-paid for last year. Am I happy about that? No, Am I concerned about this season? Yes. But I believe patience is of some virtue and am keeping a positive attitude. Enough is enough already.

• Like 1

Terry consider yourself very lucky that you were taken care of. I have e-mailed him, no response. Left message on his website no answer. He blocked me from sending message here, so what am I suppose to do? Fly to Murfeesboro, TN??

Terry, I do hope you are right about the program being ready and able to do its job in time. I don't have that confidence and have gone another route by purchasing another software today, but I still genuinely hope it works out for those of you who are hanging on. I admire you for reminding us all to put ourselves in Doug's shoes. Many of us -- me included -- have been quite rough on him due to our frustration and anxiety about the situation. But I also realize that TRX didn't have to sell out, and they should have at least been honest with us way back when they knew they weren't going to provide the software we all thought we were getting. It would have been common courtesy to let us know before we got the CD in mid to late December, but instead we were all in for a big surprise. It's possible that Doug had no say-so in any of that, so I'm not going to complain about him or to him anymore, but I still don't have anything good to say about the TaxExact program. Now that I've purchased another program, I'm very relieved and even excited about this tax season, because instead of waiting and telling my clients to wait as well, now I can move forward.

Well said Linda. I agree with you 100% that we should have been told when we renewed in April that we will NOT get what we were used to for the past several years. I was shocked when I got the CD and installed it for the first time. I immediately let Doug know that i did not like it and that the functionality was severely lacking compared to what we were used to. :o Communication is not a virtue of TRX for sure.

Have you guys seen update 11 yet. I have not? I saw a post from another user I think Taxman74 who contacted Doug and was told that it would be out at midnight?

I sure hope update 11 is out this morning and fixes the problems with proforma and states. I need to see my 2011 data in in my 2012 program now. I can't take a chance with any surprises when I am sitting down with a client doing a return and I am stuck with a problem. It is most embaressing!

MA DOR states that they have released the final version to software companies weeks back and most tax software already has the changes incorporated. So i don't see any reason why TRX should not have at least MA live??

My perspective on all of this....I had been using ATX since back in the day when they had a Sabre tiger, 1993? Kept on using it and their pricing kept going up and up untill one day I found out through this forum that a company named TRX was selling it for half the price. What a bargain, almost hard to believe. I took a chance and ordered it early and much to my surprise, they came thru and delivered as advertised. The following year, I got the news that they were delivering a different software package, instead of the ATX I though I was going to get. At first, I thought the new software was a piece of junk compared the my old tried and true ATX, but after getting my hands on it for a little while, I realized that the nex TRX (Taxworks) was even better (in my humble oppinion) than my good old friend ATX. I loved it. For three years I have been blessed having used top of the line software at a drastically reduced price. Now, we get this. Of course we are going to be upset. We were spoiled.....! But I am not going to go nuts and spend $1,500 on another software package that will do the same as TRX. I was also somewhat pessimistic that TRX was not going to have a working software ready by the end of January, but now feel that they are almost there. I have had zero issues with customer support. They have always answered my calls and the one time I sent Doug and e-mail, he responded immediately.

I have a very similar tax history, except for a year with ProSeries before Sabre.

Its good to know that customer support is responsive. I havent used them yet. I also havent tried release 4.0.11 either but Im hoping for pleasant surprises to come in the 1040,1120S and the Pennsylvania state locals tax functionality and I will be much happier and less stressed.

"Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Schedule A, medical is just one field. No fields to itemize medicine, insurance, doctors,dentist, etc. No mileage deduction either. Just one field. State sales tax deduction is incomplete. Real estate tax is only one field with no link to detail statements (must figure you only have one mortgage). The same with gifts. No detail. That is as far as I have gone with this. Not in the mood to waste my time. So no, Schedule A is not functional."

Boss this is what you wrote on 1/18. Today you appear to be quite satisfied. Has your concerns been taken care of? Are you concerned that proforma of 2011 clients still remains elusive??

I have appointments on Sat and I can't get an answer when proforma will work?

Taxed, you are absolutely right. Schedule A is functional, execpt for the sales tax issue. I haven't downloaded the latest yet but feel comfortable that it will be fixed before the 30th. We all have different situations as far as our practice is concerned. If I would have been facing this situation several years ago, I would be going nuts. I had over 200 clients plus my regular job, husband, father, managed several rental properties, etc., etc. Now I am retired from my previous employer of 36+ years, my kids are grown and my client base is 50% less. I have mucho time on my hands and stuff like proforma (rollovers) are not my main concern. If need be, I will do them "by hand". Do I like it? NO, but I don't like shelling out an additional $1,500 either.

The choices are very limited. If you want quality you got to shell out $1000 plus. If you want anything less than that there are limitations, for example TaxAct does not convert existing data.

The reason I had switched to TRX 3 years back was that Taxworks software was priced right compared to what Redgear wanted. BUT that is gone without a trace!

May be next year if Taxworks gets over their current problem and price is right may be an option.

Here is a link for those wanting to jump ship:

http://www.natptax.com/MemberCenter/MyMemberResources/Documents/Software%20Survey%20Results.pdf

Interesting survey, although you gotta take it with a grain (or two) of salt. Really, in my opinion there are 3 levels of software out there.

1. The top notch - Lacerte, UltraxTax, ProSystem
  2. The middle ground - ATX, TaxWise, ProSeries, TaxWorks, Drake
  3. The unknowns... TaxAct? TaxSlayer? OLTPro? TaxExact?

There's no sense comparing group 1 to any other group; they blow them out of the water in terms of both price and functionality. The tricky part is comparing within Group 2 and Group 3. And that's what most of us are trying to do.

And if anyone is interested in TaxWise @ 1/3 the retail price, send me a message. No guarantees, but I can point you in the right direction...

When changing software, be careful not to trust the conversion software all that much. I've switched software many times and it's rare when they catch everything. Things like capital loss carry forward or rolling your refund into next years taxes paid - those things can be hit or miss whether they go through completely and correctly. My software option (OLTPRO) says they will custom convert your data - I've decided to just enter it all. That way I know it's 100% correct going forward.

Looking at the NATP list, they mention Heads Up entry. Does anyone do that? "This capability allows a skilled 10-key/typist to enter data without being concerned about matching the data fields on the screen with those on the worksheet." That sounds like a nightmare to me.

Forms oriented versus worksheet oriented: this IMO is massively under talked about when comparing software. The NATP report talks about it, didn't see where they actually broke down the software that way. Each software program I've loved was forms oriented - each one I hated was worksheet oriented. Personal choice. When TRX offered Intellitax I was in heaven. That was my favorite software of all time.

I saw this NATP report from 2006 - wow the competition has shrunk dramatically.

"Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Schedule A, medical is just one field. No fields to itemize medicine, insurance, doctors,dentist, etc. No mileage deduction either. Just one field. State sales tax deduction is incomplete. Real estate tax is only one field with no link to detail statements (must figure you only have one mortgage). The same with gifts. No detail. That is as far as I have gone with this. Not in the mood to waste my time. So no, Schedule A is not functional."

Boss this is what you wrote on 1/18. Today you appear to be quite satisfied. Has your concerns been taken care of? Are you concerned that proforma of 2011 clients still remains elusive??

I have appointments on Sat and I can't get an answer when proforma will work?

I did a simple return which was proforma. Intially in 1040, the Taxpayer name was blank and the spouse name was there. I switched between 1040 and 1040A, and now 1040 has all the details. Correct calculation as well. I will do the Schedule A tomorrow and see how it works. I'm waiting for Doug's email regarding the state and business module

Thanks for posting this. It is certainly nice to begin to her positive things and that progress is being made. I am glad that you are in contact with Doug and it just proves that he does reply to his e-mails regardless of all the bashing he is taking on this board. We all have clients beginning to come it and we all can be creative regarding how we inform them about the delays, forth coming updates and ensure them they are still getting an accurately prepared return. Heck, mine even understand that I can print their copy and mail it if it becomes necessary. Just think, if I have to do a little extra work and thinking it will at the very least sharpen the skills that I already possess.

Roberts, I think all the software in that survey are forms oriented. The only software that i once demoed that was spreadsheet oriented was Lacerte. This was years ago and I am not sure if that is still the case.

As you will note their are broadly two tiers of software. The expensive, professional quality the usual suspects and the less expensive category like OLTPRO, TAXACT, TAXEXACT and many more small shops.

You can compare their features etc, but one thing that is true from this board and several others is that Drake seems to have a very good reputation, especially with communication and customer service. Several users here who were frustrated with TRX switched at this late stage to Drake and we hear that CS helped them switchover and they are ready to rock and roll!

Roberts, I think all the software in that survey are forms oriented. The only software that i once demoed that was spreadsheet oriented was Lacerte. This was years ago and I am not sure if that is still the case.

That's not the difference between being forms oriented and worksheet oriented.

Don't expect TRX will give you refund. I sent emails to them, no reply so far. also, sent them the software bugs. no reply so far. TRX answers this forum because they don't want people spread their bad reputation, and ask you to email personally and keep you quite here. Don't expect them to answer your email.

Amazing how Doug is maintaining radio silence! Folks we have been duped by TRX into beta testing a piece of software that frankly is not ready for 2013 tax season as a professional quality software! I said it before now you all are finding it out for yourself.

I would have saluted Doug if in December instead of shipping that junk in the CD he had sent us a letter giving us the option of either getting a full refund or try his beta software. If I was CEO of a software company, I would have done just that and in the end I would have expanded my market share!!