ATX Community

Let The Season Begin!

Guest Taxed

Some of us got an early start e-filing (1/24) but for the rest of us let the season begin tomorrow. I wish you all the best let those e-files fly and keep the rejects to a min. I hope our taxpayer dollars paid for a decent IRS system that will be able to handle the load tomorrow!

I am really getting flak from clients who have Form 8863 (most in my age group do). I must have 10 returns sitting in my (to be filed later folder). But luckily these taxpayers are not as hard pressed to get a refund ASAP like EIC clients!

With that and a prayer let the games begin! Let's hope for a prosperous tax season.

• Like 1

IRS is on a conference call with transmitters right now and later in the morning they will flip the switch to let the flood gates open. The caution from IRS is that the systems are going to be taxed to the max and don't expect ACKs right away!

I think it is prudent if you can hold off to batch process the e-file tomorrow or day after the rush has subsided! I am only submitting the returns today where they MUST e-file right away to protect dependent exemption.

Good luck with your submissions.

Last year I sent out returns during the first rush and those exact same ten got stuck in the system somewhere. All the subsequent returns sent out went through with no problem. Took almost 2 months for the EFC to finally get them pushed through so safe to say I'll be waiting a couple days this year! :spaz:

I've been sending them ever since ATX said we could and this morning everyone except two had been accepted. The two that had not been accepted were rejected due to a problem with

the EIC due dilligence residence checklist. The two that rejected I had put a mark in the box that said other and listed the documents I saw but apperantly the IRS program doesn't like that.

Deb!

You will have to explain this one to me....

I think that is in reference to situations where both parents are trying to claim the same child and they figure the one who files first will get the exemption. These are usually EIC situations and one or the other or both taxpayers might lie to the preparer as to who the child lived with., etc.

You will have to explain this one to me....

I think that is in reference to situations where both parents are trying to claim the same child and they figure the one who files first will get the exemption. These are usually EIC situations and one or the other or both taxpayers might lie to the preparer as to who the child lived with., etc.

I was under the impression that IRS rules and the facts and circumstances determined who is eligible to claim a dependent. Didn't the step up in the documention we are supposed to verify and keep make US resopnsible if it is incorrect?

I guess the air and water in Ohio is different than in my neck of the woods! (Just kidding). What I have here is a unmarried woman with a small child, going through a messy breakup with her boyfriend. Child lives with mom obviously, however boyfriend was told he could claim the child because he has paid for support and Turbo tax his return to lock her out!

We run into these all the time. Yes we have documentation but the other parent is trying to mess it up for her.

Everyone isn't as conscientions as we are. Also, some of these "characters" file their own and claim the child before the taxpayer with the right to claim gets a chance. Second filer gets a rejection and has to paper file and let the IRS decide who they are going to believe.

Everyone isn't as conscientions as we are. Also, some of these "characters" file their own and claim the child before the taxpayer with the right to claim gets a chance. Second filer gets a rejection and has to paper file and let the IRS decide who they are going to believe.

I have had several of these in the past. Client deserves the dependancy exemption, but ex-partner files on their own and claims the kid. Client's e-file claiming the kid gets rejected because ex already claim the kid. Client paper-files claiming the kid and eventually gets what they deserve...but many, many, months later. I assume the ex eventually had to pay back the portion of refund over-paid, but I never get to hear about that. So there is always a race to file in an effort to avoid this mess and refund delay.