ATX Community

cred65 - about hardware requirements

SCL

my considered, late arriving (mon 2/4/13) experience to the atx game...it is not about hardware.

the ongoing, crash and burn problem with atx involves NETWORKS and/or prior rollover edits/changes of forms, letters, etc.

my keep it simple stupid (KISS) experiment seems to work...a standalone xp install/rollover, without any prior edit/changes.

still, since this KISS method seems to work, i have upgraded to a win7 system...it seems to work, also.

my considered, late arriving (mon 2/4/13) experience to the atx game...it is not about hardware.

the ongoing, crash and burn problem with atx involves NETWORKS and/or prior rollover edits/changes of forms, letters, etc.

my keep it simple stupid (KISS) experiment seems to work...a standalone xp install/rollover, without any prior edit/changes.

still, since this KISS method seems to work, i have upgraded to a win7 system...it seems to work, also.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Are you saying you have two computers and a fresh install on both?

yes, i have 2 computers that i independently installed on one internet connection...the first computer, an xp experiment...worked quite well.

so i moved onto the 2nd win7 install. it also seems to work quite well.

i'm sorry that i can't adequately explain my situation...the best i can do is say...if you are a single install...simplify all your preference/options and move on.

• Like 1

yes, i have 2 computers that i independently installed on one internet connection...the first computer, an xp experiment...worked quite well.

so i moved onto the 2nd win7 install. it also seems to work quite well.

i'm sorry that i can't adequately explain my situation...the best i can do is say...if you are a single install...simplify all your preference/options and move on.

Well that is about like my setup, and I don't customize anything in the program. About the only thing I changed in last year was from "we" to "I" in the letter. I was fine until 1/28 when the 12.5 update cause the program to continually shut down with that popup box. I was lucky enough to have been logged on and watching the official forum and got the temporary patch to fix the problem. If I hadn't been on that forum at that exact time and reading the appropriate threat, I would have had a totally nonfunctioning program for 9 days because getting through to tech support was impossible. They had a recorded message that played and hung up on callers. I was still having problems after the 12.6 install that magically disappeared, but I don't know why. The program seems to have a mind of its own. Today's crash for me was only on a test return after the 4562 was updated. There just seem to be too many things causing crashes or errors that need workarounds for my comfort level. I'm also concerned about the amount of resources this program needs to run. It seems to be ok for me right now on a basic w-2 return with one state. Later on I'll have large multi-state returns of greater complexity, and it is not uncommon for me to have many of the following programs open at the same time: ATX, Excel, Word, Quickbooks, Tompson Reuter's Fixed Assets II, and the internet. How well will ATX be performing for me then?

• Like 1

I haven't customized, either. Neither on install nor after. Oh, I tried. The margins on the client letter, and the font size, drive me nuts. I can't get the "edit" button to light up. So I gave up on that and am putting out letters that make me cringe, but only 1/3 as many as last year, so there's that silver lining. Honestly, I can live without the letter, just give me a tax return.

And the letter regrets are nothing compared to the spooling and haunted boxes (won't stay checked). And yesterday was the most crashing - everytime I had to rcreate an e-file (which was everytime I worked on a return).

Bought some more RAM. Peachtree, Excel, and Facebook are a little faster. But they weren't slow. Only thing faster in ATX is the pop up saying CCH encountered a problem. Yes, I would say they have...