ATX Community

NT: Winter Storm Nemo

Catherine

Hello boys and girls...

Just checking in from eastern Massachusetts where Winter Storm Nemo is now taking on characteristics of a hurricane (plummeting pressure, development of an "eye" structure) and several states have declared emergencies and told people to just get off the roads.

Hope everyone in the warning areas stays safe!

Assuming we don't lose power, I will be splitting time between seeing if I can get ATX working at non-geologic rates, and converting my 2011 returns to the Drake format to see how that goes. I decided that I needed to be ready to go either way, as ATX has been taking 15 seconds (timed) to go from one page/worksheet of a form to another, and up to four seconds (timed) to merely show an "X" in a checkbox.

On the vaguely-related topic of this storm's name, the Weather Channel started this (this winter? -or was it last winter?) and I generally don't like it. This particular name has other associations, though. We go to the local sci-fi convention every January, and they always have kiddie activities. A number of years ago, the poster with the kiddie activities listed a showing of the movie, "Finding Nemo" and the description of the movie was, "Alien Abduction -- for Fish" and I have never forgotten that.

Catherine

CT also declared a state of emergency to allow only essential personnel to be on the roads. Schools are closed. Businesses are closing for Saturday already. We were told to expect to be without power for 72 hours. I'm doing as much laundry as I can. I took a long, hot shower this afternoon as I may not be able to take a shower tomorrow. We usually keep our temperature set between 60 and 65 depending on how sunny it is, but have it up to 67 now. Packing food into a cooler; trying to decide what vs what to leave in refrigerator and freezer. And, getting some work done in between checking the weather reports. I really have to have a generator installed. Stay safe, everyone.

• Like 2

The storm reports made me think of this old joke.

One winter morning a couple was listening to the radio over breakfast. They hear the announcer say, "We are going to have 8 to 10 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the even-numbered side of the street so the snowplows can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car.
A week later while they are eating breakfast and again, the radio announcer says, "We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the odd-numbered side of the street so the snowplows can get through." Norman's wife goes out and moves her car again.
The next week they are again having breakfast when the radio announcer says "We are expecting 12 to 14 inches of snow today. You must park---" and right then the power goes out.
Norman's wife is very upset, and with a worried look on her face she says, "Honey, I don't know what to do. Which side of the street do I need to park on so the snowplows can get through?"
With the love and understanding in his voice that all men who are married to blondes exhibit, Norman says, "Sweetie, why don't you just go ahead and leave it in the garage just this once?"
  • Like 3

LOL KC!!!!!

And or the record - -FINALLY someone other that Buffalo NY made the news!!!Snow levels from 5 -18 inches - - -VERY few schools closed - -only roads closed were due to cars sliding into ditches - -looking at blacktop streets today.

We were lucky - -but we DO know snow!!!

Stay safe everyone!

Update: Surgery postponed, due to "bad" EKG. Have to have another one done, so the anesthesiologist can CHA, A real bummer, have to get another EKG Friday, and HOPEFULLY will have the surgery next Tues. .

the extra test is just a CYA thing, they operate on much sicker people all the time. Even if the second test is the same, all it is for is to protect the anesthesiologist from legal risk.just so he has proof that he took all precautions, I should have had the option to just sign a release. He'd still know to be alert to related problems. This is one reason medical costs are so high, all the extra tests.
  • Like 1

Yep, lots of CYA. My sister went through something similar to your experience, and hubby was sent home from pre-op due to anesthesiologist wanting him to increase his asthma medication before surgery. It's a real bummer to be "up" for surgery and then have to postpone and get "up" all over again. We'll keep sending you funnies to keep your spirits up.