ATX Community

Returns not approved for e-filing

Argo

Where have you been? Get the IRS bulletins by email. The IRS cannot process certain forms because of our illustrious Congress changing the tax laws in January, retroactive to 2012. Read the newspapers, get on a few tax related websites, take update classes and educate yourself. I can't believe someone holding themselves out as a tax professional would not know this. And I may be being harsh, but this type of question is why I am all for preparer regulating.

• Like 1

Joanmcq,

I know about the delayed forms and get the IRS bulletin. I was just seeing if any of the other software was able to process the 1041 as I do not trust ATX after the start of the season I have. I might be having a stupid day (common the day after a migraine) but I checked the IRS website, re-read the bulletin, and assumed Agency testing was an IRS issue but just wanted to confirm.

I wanted to give my client some information so he could tell the beneferciars. This is the first and only 1041 I have completed. It is also the first form I thought I would be able to file with ATX.

I hope your kitty feels better.

Fwiw, ATX is still showing a NJ1040-V with the "not approved for paper filing" watermark. Not e-filing, but paper filing, so sometimes it is the program and not some law or rule change that's holding up finishing returns.. I find that ridiculous. Drake says the return is ready to go. I had 2 returns held up because of this.

A 1041 can be e filed through UltraTax. The state that goes with it isn't ready yet, but that's a state problem and not UT's.

I am SO glad we switched last year. I have been pained reading through all the pain many on this board have experienced. I could not have imagined what it would be like to head into filing season with clients waiting and software that doesn't work. Panic attack. I give you all credit for keeping your heads.

UT has worked flawlessly so far. I just did a return for a gal who makes enough to get hit by all three new taxes next year. I did the tax projection worksheet, and I never did trust ATX's tax projections (or those of other software companies I have used, to be fair), so I didn't know what to expect. Mama Mia! Not only did it calculate the new "hospital tax," higher rates on capital gains, and phase out of exemptions and itemized deductions, but had worksheets showing how each was calculated. I don't think the state projection was right, but I'll take what I can get.

While UT is way too expensive for a small practice, this year ATX is way too unreliable for any practice.

ATX has to get approval for their paper forms from the IRS. Until the IRS has approved the ATX form, ATX cannot release it for printing. Same goes for all state forms as well. Each State approves the paper form before ATX can release it for use.

So, even though there are plenty of CCH caused ATX problems, this is not one of them. This scenario has happened for many forms ever year for the past 5 years.

IRS or the State involved is the problem here. Last year, Ohio forms were not approved for paper filing till middle to late Feb.

E-filing is a different issue. Only data gets sent with the e-file so forms do not matter. Approval for e-file comes from the IRS as well. Cases in point.. 4562, 8863 etc.

• Like 1