ATX Community

ATX 2012 Needs to Be Fixed as It will affect us in 2013 as Well

joelgilb

If we switch for next year, I may buy one stand alone ATX license so that I can rollover our clients. Then we will have a fall-back option if we hit a snag on returns that ATX is better suited for. I am expecting that ATX will at least offer some attractive options to renew.

If we switch for next year, I may buy one stand alone ATX license so that I can rollover our clients. Then we will have a fall-back option if we hit a snag on returns that ATX is better suited for. I am expecting that ATX will at least offer some attractive options to renew.

Reluctantly, I do not share your optimism about ATX even being around for next year.

• Like 1

You're in the blush of a new relationship, giddy and in love. ...

No I am not in the blush of a new relationship and giddy in love. I am a realist. In telling others about my experience with Drake, I am just offering my personal experience to help them make a decision. Drake is not for everyone, but none of the products are.

I have tried every other software out there before I "SETTLED" on Drake (including little known ones like QRS). Every software has pluses and minuses. All have their own quirks and ways of doing the same thing. Each software presents us challenges and compromises, because of the way developers and programmers think. And none of them think like preparers. I don't always like the way Drake does things, and have already submitted to Drake 3 pages of suggested improvements and enhancements.

Well I didn't try TaxWorks this year (did last year) or TRX, as it was a new unusable product out of the gate.

Programs I liked the best were of course the most expensive ones; ProSystems FX and Lacerte (I didn't like Thomson Reuter's UltraTax CS though), but my practice can't really justify the cost of these. I am primarily an Attorney representing clients before IRS, The U.S. Tax Court and working with Criminal Tax Lawyers in the main Federal Court. So tax preparation work is only a small piece of my practice.

I have been in this business professionally since 1979. Have used and tried many of the programs. Was one of the first to move from Service Bureaus to In-House tax preparation using of all things the Single Return Version of TurboTax. At the time (1983), I wrote along with the assistance from a programmer friend of mine a Custom Return Manager to allow the basic TurboTax to enable us to prepare multiple returns, automatically backing up files and logging into client files, switching between new blank returns and client returns transparently. Simplistic by todays standards, but at least it was a workable alternative. I installed this very system in almost a dozen of my friends offices in this very business.

Shortly thereafter, I went around the Chicago area setting up In-House systems for a number of the small to medium sized offices, along with a Systems Consultant and Accounting Software Programer. Every office had different needs and we set their offices up accordingly. In none of which I installed TruboTax btw.

In those days, there were hundreds of Tax Software options. Over the years these either were bought up for the User Bases or simply went out of business. I can't tell you how many of those I tested and worked with, just because of the consulting end of the business.

When the market narrowed, so did that business, and I dropped it from my practice.

Now I am just doing what I have to!

Joel, Not to insult you, but it is time to lighten up on the relentless bashing of ATX. You have made your point and you appear to have made your move to Drake. Some of us have our own process to work through and we will, without further nudging from you.

Drake may be in our future. I appreciate all the positive feedback that you provide about the comparative benefits. But your bitterness toward ATX is seeping through and getting tiresome.

I only started to follow these forums this year and have found the information and comradery very helpful. A lot is at stake for all of us. With three weeks yet to go, those of us still using ATX just need to get to finish line.

Wish us luck.

If I am out of line for expressing this, let me know.

• Like 3

Joel, Not to insult you, but it is time to lighten up on the relentless bashing of ATX. You have made your point and you appear to have made your move to Drake. Some of us have our own process to work through and we will, without further nudging from you.

Drake may be in our future. I appreciate all the positive feedback that you provide about the comparative benefits. But your bitterness toward ATX is seeping through and getting tiresome.

I only started to follow these forums this year and have found the information and comradery very helpful. A lot is at stake for all of us. With three weeks yet to go, those of us still using ATX just need to get to finish line.

Wish us luck.

If I am out of line for expressing this, let me know.

SFA,

I don't think my last post above yours even once mentioned ATX or bashed it, but if it is being taken that way I am truly sorry,

And no, I don't think you are out of line. your post was pleasant and respectful.

BTW, I am not bitter at ATX. Disappointed yes. I have been a user since 1999 and loved the software. If it does not get fixed or CCH has to discontinue it, I well be even more disappointed.

{Well actually I used it when it was first published and was little more than a Free Forms Software}.

SFA,

I don't think my last post above yours even once mentioned ATX or bashed it, but if it is being taken that way I am truly sorry,

And no, I don't think you are out of line. your post was pleasant and respectful.

BTW, I am not bitter at ATX. Disappointed yes. I have been a user since 1999 and loved the software. If it does not get fixed or CCH has to discontinue it, I well be even more disappointed.

{Well actually I used it when it was first published and was little more than a Free Forms Software}.

Hint. Hint

Jack of Ohio, I think ATX may be around next year - but only if they offer deep discounts year round, and hire better computer programmers. However, I don't think the Mr. Marx, the new ATX president, is going to be much to help the company. He's too much as a CCH clone - they really need to bring an outsider in - someone who has never been associated with CCH before - to clean up the mess. But sadly, knowing the company well, I just don't see that happening. I know from my CCH sources that the company has seen a major exit of very good field sales reps in the past year or so. With both the sales director and CEO resigning (among others), CCH is imploding. Despite what we may think, ATX is not a big fish in CCH's world. If they had taken ATX seriously to begin with, they would have hired better programmers and developed more realistic deadlines. Mr. Marx needs to get in front of the problem after tax season. As for the ATX sales reps, they would be better off selling Girl Scout cookies than calling any of us for an early renewal discount.

• 3 weeks later...

maybe the #'s do not work for atx

what did cch purchase atx for 60 millino or something like that

and it's in Chicago; people get paid more there..or else you get less qualified people to make the rpice come out

in Maine; workers are nto as expensive, and there are prob not as many jobs to choose from ...so people stick around;;which is why

atx cust service used to be so good when it was in maine

do the math...i think...in maine, they didn't spend millions to buy teh company, they built the company

atx barely raises it's fee

overhead and costs are higher in chicago.

then again it's 4am..maybe i'm totally wrong..isn't cch in chicago?

Drake is in north and south carolina

they didn't pay millinos for their company; they built it

cost of labor alot cheaper therei would believe

probably little worker turnover

i'm consistenly stunned at the high caliber of their customer service

Guest Taxed

My prediction is that Drake will be the champion in getting the folks who jumped ship this year. You can see that in their agressive push. Intuit may come in second because their software is more expensive than Drake when you add up all the extra you have to pay.

I am waiting for Redgear to come out with an offer for 2013 to reclaim lost ground.

What will ATX do to reclaim lost ground?

I am NOT renewing early. i have a feeling that deals will be made this year with so many taxpros in the limbo!

Well, I am not certain WHERE CCH is anymore. When I worked for them as a sales rep in Central Texas, the main offices were in Chicago and I suspect they still are. But the Small Firms Services division is now in Atlanta - and judging from the recent new digs, I would assume they are planning on staying.

There is nothing much that ATX can do to reclaim lost ground. In fact, the ground has already fallen underneath them and they are falling into a deep hole they will never recover from. All ATX can do is offer very deep discounts, pray they will keep enough customers around another year until they get the mess taken care of, and maybe next year start to rebuild. Based on the bad PR, I seriously doubt they are going to get too many new customers on board. In the meantime, as I've mentioned before, they need to cut the sales and customer service staff in half, and reinvest in hiring and keeping better programmers. In this industry, it's WOM (word of mouth), not marketing and sales, that really matter. CCH has destroyed the ATX brand. It will take them years to regain ground - or if they are smart, sell ATX to a company that really gives a damn about the little guy.

ATX will probably look at consolidating with TaxWise, putting both on one engine (it was CCH's plan all along) and consolidating its costs. I doubt they will sell it, even the remaining customer base is just worth too much, especially when you consider the side sales opportunities.

So, then it is just a matter of how they handle the different interfaces and the additional forms modules available in ATX. Biggest problem they will have is TaxWise's higher pricing structure, which I feel is where ATX was moving in the first place.

CCH have been consistently been trying to get more money from us by debundling the software to increase revenues and sell side products. The market share is limited, so this is probably CCH's best plan to increase its bottom line, and that is all that CCH is really concerned with. This years fiasco may just have slowed that plan down, but I can't believe that plan still doesn't exist.

And yes ATX is in Atlanta GA.

As for Drake:

34 years in business. Met Drake at the accounting show the year he introduced his software and now his kids work for the company, so I expect they will still be here in the future. Received a demo of his product at that time and didn't like it and have demo'ed the Drake software several times over the years. Wasn't till the latest version that I really felt I could switch to it. Thanks to Drake and the high level of support, I am where I should be at this time and will have a VERY EASY last few days of season.

They are located at:

235 East Palmer Street
Franklin, NC 28734

Guest Taxed

I predict the same as well that CCH will merge ATX and have one tax prep software for the middle market. I can't see them keeping 2 competing products in the market longterm. But the issue with Taxwise is its higher price, ack of many forms and extra's they want to charge for after the fact payroll, asset manager and the basic interview module.

Drake includes that in its basic pricing and it is still below CCH's added cost. I see Drake growing unless they make a stupid move to revamp the software right around tax season start!!!

Someone at CCH needs to do a market analysis and price it right otherwise we will say who CCH??