ATX Community

ATX 2012 Needs to Be Fixed as It will affect us in 2013 as Well

joelgilb

Drake is not an answer for me. It is not suitable for my client base. ATX is the only software I've used in my practice. I've used others in jobs I've had alongside, but nothing that worked as well for me as ATX.

I didn't think so either. 13 Years with ATX and ATX thinks like me. Well until ATX 2012. But only 2 days after I made the move I was using Drake like a pro as were my staff. Everyone happy again!

But if Drake isn't your cup of tea there are other options as well. Others I keep in touch with have had similar experiences with ProSeries. Fear is not a reason to stay with a Loser.

• Like 1

The devil (CCH) wants to encourage fear among the ATX customers. "Stay with us," CCH warns "because its better to stay with the known than the unknown."

Fear is CCH's weapon. Drake may not be your cup of tea. OK. Well, you will have plenty of time after tax season to check other services Just make sure that CCH - using fear - doesn't lure you with early renewal discounts and false promises that they can't deliver. Take your time. But don't let fear drive your decision making process.

You're in control. Not CCH.

• Like 1

It isn't fear, Drake had problems with my CA calcs, and I couldn't figure out how to do all the workarounds I need to do with my same sex couple returns. I also need a ton of states. Proseries is just too damn expensive on that front. I will admit, I'm one of the lucky people that hasn't had a lot of issues so far this year.

Like Joel, I've also found the Drake transition to be fairly seamless once I got through the initial part of the learning curve (by "initial learning curve" I'm referring to a few days plus some time spent watching their excellent tutorials). I think it's mainly a matter of how adaptable one is willing to be.

There are a few little things I miss from ATX, but the lightning speed and ease of use with Drake is well worth the trade-off. It also has some features and ways of manipulating data which I find far superior to ATX. Most of these features concern the process of expediting data entry, which is our greatest time killer. For example, their macros are simple to write and edit, which can save lots of time with routine entries unique to a given practice or state.

I am doing some work with ATX 2011 on one screen and Drake 2012 on the other, and I've come to notice how slow even ATX 2011 was when seeing the two side-by-side in real time. As I've said before, the "Forms-Based" data entry is way overrated IMO. Granted, the change takes a little getting used to. But how hard is it to press Ctrl-V and Ctrl-E? It really is that simple to toggle back & forth between the Form to the Data Entry in Drake, and it works even faster than I can type this.

Now if I found that my state wouldn't calculate correctly or if I had a particular class of return that wouldn't work, I'd certainly have a different opinion. But in looking at the Drake forums, I don't see any CA preparers complaining about these issues. (Or maybe they just don't have any customers in CA). And my only CA client's return worked perfectly, although it's a fairly straightforward return.

Anyhow, I'm coming around to the idea that everyone may be looking for another vendor next year, either by choice or by default. I'd suggest giving Drake a good honest evaluation, knowing that any change is going to require giving up some things and gaining others. If ATX isn't an option, there won't be much out there in this price range which still provides the selection of forms and customer support that Drake provides.

I'll also add that even though I'm now a Drake user, I'll still continue to evaluate other vendors in the off-season. I believe it is foolhardy to be locked into a single vendor with no other options. For a small practitioner like me it would be an inconvenience to be totally dependent on a single vendor, but for bigger operations it borders on business suicide. This season, ATX seems to be validating that viewpoint.

• Like 2

Like Joel, I've also found the Drake transition to be fairly seamless once I got through the initial part of the learning curve (by "initial learning curve" I'm referring to a few days plus some time spent watching their excellent tutorials). I think it's mainly a matter of how adaptable one is willing to be.

There are a few little things I miss from ATX, but the lightning speed and ease of use with Drake is well worth the trade-off. It also has some features and ways of manipulating data which I find far superior to ATX. Most of these features concern the process of expediting data entry, which is our greatest time killer. For example, their macros are simple to write and edit, which can save lots of time with routine entries unique to a given practice or state.

I am doing some work with ATX 2011 on one screen and Drake 2012 on the other, and I've come to notice how slow even ATX 2011 was when seeing the two side-by-side in real time. As I've said before, the "Forms-Based" data entry is way overrated IMO. Granted, the change takes a little getting used to. But how hard is it to press Ctrl-V and Ctrl-E? It really is that simple to toggle back & forth between the Form to the Data Entry in Drake, and it works even faster than I can type this.

Now if I found that my state wouldn't calculate correctly or if I had a particular class of return that wouldn't work, I'd certainly have a different opinion. But in looking at the Drake forums, I don't see any CA preparers complaining about these issues. (Or maybe they just don't have any customers in CA). And my only CA client's return worked perfectly, although it's a fairly straightforward return.

Anyhow, I'm coming around to the idea that everyone may be looking for another vendor next year, either by choice or by default. I'd suggest giving Drake a good honest evaluation, knowing that any change is going to require giving up some things and gaining others. If ATX isn't an option, there won't be much out there in this price range which still provides the selection of forms and customer support that Drake provides.

I'll also add that even though I'm now a Drake user, I'll still continue to evaluate other vendors in the off-season. I believe it is foolhardy to be locked into a single vendor with no other options. For a small practitioner like me it would be an inconvenience to be totally dependent on a single vendor, but for bigger operations it borders on business suicide. This season, ATX seems to be validating that viewpoint.

Joan:

Think John has said it all! It is really not that hard to convert to Drake or any other tax software vender for that matter. Even for a large office Jack.

As for ProSeries Pricing, due to price concessions, it is not much different in price than ATX. They have been offering 70% off the price of the software and will lock that price for 5 years!

As for macros John, wish I had time to try them. Would love to hear more of your experience here, so I can get them setup for next year.

I don't want to get locked into Proseries. And Lacerte is screwing up their RDP returns; not transmitting the 8958. Not sure if proseries has the bug too. I'm not sure if Drake even has the 8958.

I agree with Joan, because the mysterious side of this entire issue is that some of us are having relatively few problems. (Except for my biggee today) I have not had a printing issue since day one other than the irritation of unchecking boxes. Other than the splash screen, I have really not had speed problems. I have created, filed and had accepted about 181 returns so far without any major issues. So, what is the answer. I am sure that a lot of it stems from networking as all three of my computers are running individually on Wi-Fi. The jump drive makes it easy to move files around. In a perfect world, that would not be necessary, but we do what we have to do. I know that Joan and I are not the only ones who are having relatively few issues.

I am doing well now, not at first. And 12.8 killed me, I lost 60 returns, 18 of which had not been transmitted. I have my doubts about rollover and backup for this program.

I am on 12.9 and not gonna rock the boat. I tried Drake, and I don't have what it takes to like it. The straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that bank information did not convert. And Drake wants the bank name. That may not seem like a big deal, and maybe nobody converts bank info, but entering and checking bank numbers is a big stressor for me. I am so happy when a client says, "Same bank info as last year." I mean really happy. I decided I would rather clean, eat, file, anything, while that hourglass spins than enter bank numbers. I will check out ProSeries in the summer, but I hope ATX gets it together.

I just redid a tax return 5x in ATX because once I entered it - depreciation for rental propery was gone - some error with ATX saving. All together wasted over 5 hours - UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! I have always loved ATX - used it for the last 5 years and at a former employer - but no more. We are switching - I can't wait for the IL CPA society show in the fall when ATX has their big, impressive booth - I am going to let them know and everyone else nearby - what a shit company they are. They don't even answer the phone on weekends to handle the shortcomings of their program. What a waste of money! I wouldn't trust them - even if they gave me the software free next year. Switching for sure.

But it's not included in efiles. I talked to a friend of mine who switched to Drake and he called tech support who confirmed they do not efile the form. And he already efiled RDPs, and didn't notice, so it must not have thrown an error message.

Your friend is feeding you bad info. I was curious about this because I hadn't seen any complaints about the form on the Drake forum, which I've been visiting fairly regularly to help get up to max speed. So I asked Drake. They said they have no problems with e-flinging them.

Joan, The only thing that Drake can't do BETTER than ATX is the 1000's of forms. And really how often do we use them. Well me more than most because I am an attorney and do a lot of other things in my practice. For that I can and do subscribe to CFS Tools and can add a Superforms Subscription if I really need it.

Don't let CCH and ATX convince you of something that is just not true!

In fact, today I found out that I have been preparing the 1116 incorrectly as long as I have used ATX! In Drake I have the option of not preparing the 1116 if the Foreign Tax is less than $300 for single and 600 for MFS (the majority of them). When not using the form in this return I got my client (correctly) a $53.00 FTC. When using the form it limited the FTC by allocating the sched A itemized deductions, reducing the credit to $31.00. ATX has never done this correctly!

And CA, I have never had an easier time prepping a CA return! ATX was so much more effort for the same thing. Just not sure who is feeding you all this bad stuff about the other software companies out there. Must be CCH!

Stop putting up that mental block to change! It is necessary and you will find your life is better for it.

As for RDP returns, I wish I could answer that one, but I have yet to create one in Drake. So, I suggest you call them! They will not only answer the phone in SECONDS, they will honestly answer your questions.

Again, I have never received better Tech Support for any software, not just Tax software!

As for your friend not being able to do things in Drake, maybe your friend didn't take the time to learn how Drake does things. I have found a few times I wasn't able to do something, until I contacted support and they showed me how. Once I new, it all made sense too!

Joel, sure ATX doesn't do it automatically but you just open the elections, and make the election not to use Form 1116. Been around since that option was available for the FTC. I have very complex FTC returns too, and if you do use the 1116, you have to allocate expenses & income between foreign & domestic. That is YOU not knowing the software or the law or the form. ATX has never been a software for someone that just wants to plug in numbers. One of the things I've liked is that it lets me be a Professional and I do need to know the code & forms. Also, remember I did test drive Drake two years ago. Went to a seminar, and came away impressed, and put the demo on my computer & played around with it. Some things I liked, and some I didn't. I loved the way it would automatically save a PDF copy to your doc manager. When I have time, I do still have Drake 2009 on my computer, and can take a look again.

You're in the blush of a new relationship, giddy and in love. Right now I'm in the middle of one of my biggest nonRDP returns. And there's not only foreign interest & dividends but a foreign rental too. This is where all those foreign allocation worksheets come into play. What kind of returns do you do primarily? I tested drake with the foreign income exclusion & CA tax. It added back the foreign exclusion twice in CA, and there wasn't any way of getting it out again. That's where I started to say, whoa, maybe this isn't the software for me.