ATX Community

Client emergencies

ILLMAS

I had a colleague who charged an extra 50% for a rush job!

I stay pretty firm with preparing returns in the order received and putting clients on extension after a certain date (which is earlier this year due to Congress...but I won't rant). But, when a client asks for a rush job and I comply, I do add a Rush Fee right on the invoice, and it varies depending on the amount of my work, how fast they need it, and the good old PITA factor. I've never added less than $50 or $100, and depending on how large their invoice would be without the Rush Fee, I've added some pretty large Rush Fees. I want them to feel some pain for their lateness and to reimburse me for my pain (even if it wasn't more work, just different timing, I have to field the phone calls from all my other clients, calm them down about not completing their returns yet). I've never gone as high as my colleague's 50%, but I have charged 10%, 20%, 25%, whatever feels right to me at the time. I want it to be big enough that it stands out on their bill.

• Like 1

Lots of variables...........

Generally...I don't add a fee.

For a returning customer, if it's a return with nothing weird or unusual.....I just do it.

If it's like the woman who on 4/14/11...called and said..."Sorry to do this to you but I'm giving you my 1099-B this afternoon" (which had about 1000 individual stock transactions)

I say "No, you're not doing this to me because I'm not doing your return."

However, if it's a new customer, I'd just raise my price.

Just wanted to throw out this question, do you profit from your clients emergencies? You don't hear from them, and all of a sudden they need their return fast. What your experience?

Actually, your wording bothers me a bit. Charging extra in such a situation is not, IMHO, "profiting from" the situation. It is compensating you for your extra work involved in rushing their return through.

• Like 3

Actually, your wording bothers me a bit. Charging extra in such a situation is not, IMHO, "profiting from" the situation. It is compensating you for your extra work involved in rushing their return through.

You are correct based on wording, charging extra is the right word :) This year, I've been telling clients, I need to put down other work where my hourly rate is higher to do your work, if you would like for me to put down my work and give priority to your return it's going to cost you X amount of dollars and it will be due at the time of pick up. Has worked so far.

As I dig out from under this mountain of returns resulting from the ATX fiasco, I am hoping that my clients will forgive the extra time that it is taking for me to complete their returns. They are not expecting me to "discount" their returns because it has taken longer this year to turnaround. So if in the future, if any one of them ask me to expedite their return for some special reason, I will try my best to accomodate.

Having said that, if someone new plunks something in front of me, I will need to consider those already patiently waiting in a long line. We just can't be all things, to all people, all the time.

It is healthy to say no sometimes and turn clients away when necessary.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

I do NOT take any rush orders after 4/1. It is strictly based on first come first served. I do make a call to my "late" clients on 4/1 and remind them that they MUST act NOW and that they have to go on extension. If they give me ballpark figures I will estimate how much to put down with the extension. If they ignore my recommendation then i have a disclamer that they are going to bear all consequences of late filing, penalties and interest.

From a practical perspective you get to know yourclients so you can pretty much project who will be the usual later comers. I have made exceptions for medical or family emergencies and have actually worked till 1am a few days last year to get the job done.

I think the response we give to our clients may be a consideration when they get another tax preparer's name dropped at the golf course. We hope they remember all the extra mile we went to help them and not throw us out because some other guy gave them a better rate. I have rarely lost out because of price. It is mostly due to change of location or personality!