ATX Community

Offsite Backup Resolved

Christian

Interesting,

Magnetic media has been around since the stone age of computers. Its reliable, It has difference sizes, CD, DVD And Blu Ray. I have found it to be reliable years after i backed it up and all of a sudden it is not considered reliable?

Now someone at ATX support says that is not true? Were they awake when this call was taken?

Oh and the method to move data to magnetic media.

Copy and paste is my favorite.

Because I will have it backed up on a Data Partition on my hard drive and backed up on the magnetic media.

its amazing what some people say these days.

ATX tech support advised that the program no longer supports exporting files to cds. Would have been helpful if they had put this out somewhere. So I whipped out my trusty flash drive and zip off they went. The tech support person sounded kind of droopy. I cannot imagine why. :P

What you were trying to do has me wondering? Anything can be back up to CD's if you have the right software, but if you are using windows burn feature that is maybe the problem.

Digital media can be backed up to any source. Whether they support it or not is irrelevant.

They probably just don't want to deal with a customer that has a problem finding their CD with the database back up.

It's like everything out there now days.....(Customer Service)

If it's too time consuming...Lets just say "We don't support it"

I have been backing up my ATX to flash drives all year. It is very simple (one of the "enhancements" that I actually like this year). Put it in the usb port, click on backup, select your drive, and it will back up everything that has changed since the last backup.

I can only speculatet that the CD issue relates to read/write ability of the device. If you can't "replace" the data on the cd every time you back up, it might be an issue. I might be exposing my ignorance, but back in the day before read/write came into existance, I think you could only add to a CD, not find and replace. I think the new ATX has a new backup method and it might not be compatible with CD's. That said, once the data is backed up, I bet you can burn it to a CD.

Again, not a techie, but just a guy who has used everything to back up his tax files in the last 15 years.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Backup to cds was working until the 12.12 update. This works great if I can keep track of this tiny drive. It apparently has enough storage for several years of my files and can be erased as well. I am an old dog but I can learn new tricks.

Now if I can just remember where I put the darn thing. :wall:

• Like 2