ATX Community

AOC - Grad School

Dave T

Don't know who is still reviewing the board but would like to get confirmation on an item if possible.

Young couple came to me to get taxes done but had to put them on extension as all info. wasn't avaialble at the time.

At any rate, the young woman is in graduate school and therefore has already completed her four year degree. While an undergrad her parents claimed as a dependent but for whatever reason did not take the AOC in all the four years they were entitled to. ( Again, not sure why ?)

I believe that even though the credit wasn't used, the fact that because she has completed four years of school she would not be entitled to the AOC. Am I correct in this.?

I feel bad for the couple as the husband is a part time youth pastor making very little money but is going to get hit with SE tax and I was hopng that the refundable portion of the AOC would mitigate that but it doesn't appear to be the case. I suppose the parents could amend their return to help them out but that's not my call.

Thank you.

Dave T

Ooops - forgot to spellcheck before submitting. Meant to say I had to rely on her for the verification.

Thanks

Dave, you can edit your own posts by clicking on the 'Edit' button at the bottom. I already edited your typo, something only a Moderator can do to other people's posts. But anyone can edit their own.

Guest Taxed

If the returns can be amended and AOC was not claimed for some reason, it may be worth your time (if you can charge for the amendment) or make a client very happy, to do the calculation.

Last year I picked up a new client just because of that. The mother used Lifetime credits for her son instead of AOC because that is what she knew from her older daughter's returns. She is in Grad school! The son had heard from his friends who were getting bigger refunds and mom wanted me to check her handiwork!

>>I was hopng that the refundable portion of the AOC would mitigate that<<

I don't understand the prejudice against EITC as a refundable credit for low-income workers, compared to enthusiasm for the AOC as a refundable credit for higher income taxpayers who choose to not work.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

>>I was hopng that the refundable portion of the AOC would mitigate that<<

I don't understand the prejudice against EITC as a refundable credit for low-income workers, compared to enthusiasm for the AOC as a refundable credit for higher income taxpayers who choose to not work.

The prejudice against EITC and Welfare benefits has to do with the perception of the color of the skin of the recipient and it is predominantly in Republican controlled states fanned by Foxnews and right wing talkshows and radio.

I do not believe that. I think it's because of its abuse, regardless of WHO is getting it. The fact that it's been confirmed by IRS that there is massive EITC being fraudulently claimed for "dependents" in Mexico may seem like it's prejudice, but in truth it's not because it's Mexico, it's because it's FRAUD. And the fact that there is more such fraud in minority neighborhoods is not about prejudice, either. It's because it's abuse of honest, taxpaying citizens.

The refundable education credits are subject to much less fraud, probably because there is more documentation involved before it can be claimed. As for the attitude of preparers to it, at least part of it is because it's one of the few tax credits that is mostly used by folks like us, [most of us anyway] middle income working people.

• Like 2

The truly prejudice or racist people are the ones that see ethnicity, race, religion, gender preference or political persuasion in every situation, no matter what.

Fraud is fraud, and I for one, wish to stop the fraud no matter WHO is committing it.

Criminal people break the law. Criminal is defined by actions, not race, religion, ethnicity, gender preference or political persuasion.

• Like 2

The prejudice against EITC and Welfare benefits has to do with the perception of the color of the skin of the recipient and it is predominantly in Republican controlled states fanned by Foxnews and right wing talkshows and radio.

You know taxed, I have been reading your liberal drivel for a couple weeks now, and it really irks me. I live in CA, the most liberal state in the nation. And I am really offended by the notion you liberals put out there that somehow because I think it is a constitutional right to bear arms, because I believe in hard work and a hand up, not a hand out, and because I am affiliated with the republican party, that I am some kind of racist. That is bull........

You don't know me. I take offense at the broad brush you paint me with.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 4

Guest Taxed

Bulldog I don't know you and I am not directing my comments specifically to you. I was not born yesterday either. I call it the way I see it. No one should break the law regardless of the color of their skin or creed or anything else. Laws should be color blind, but unfortunately there is a perception in USA fanned by right wing media that people of certain color are lazy and always have a hand out and more likely to commit a fraud or crime!

Bulldog I don't know you and I am not directing my comments specifically to you. I was not born yesterday either. I call it the way I see it. No one should break the law regardless of the color of their skin or creed or anything else. Laws should be color blind, but unfortunately there is a perception in USA fanned by right wing media that people of certain color are lazy and always have a hand out and more likely to commit a fraud or crime!

You are the one who brought skin color into the discussion. You associated predudice against EIC recipients as racism, fanned by Republican states and right wing talk shows. Well, I am a Republican and I am further right than most of my neighbors in this beautiful screwed up state. What I am not is racist. I have eaten tortillas off the back of a truck tailgate in the strawberry fields of Watsonville with some of the hardest working, kindest, brown skinned, beautiful people in the world. Most of them illegal. And I think they should have to go back because they broke the law. I see all races come into my office and go through the same EITC checklist for all of them. I try to treat every person based on the creed of Martin Luther King Jr. "to see not the color of their skin, but the content of their character". I don't believe poverty or social status gives anyone the "right" to break the law. And I don't think the law should see color in anthing they do.

What ticks me off is the liberals who need to push color in my face at every opportunity. I remember one year being very excited to see a Monday Night Football game. The high powered offense of the Minnesota Vikings in the Randy Moss era were playing the ferrocious defense of the Tampa Bay Buccanneers led by Warren Sapp. On paper, this should have been the game of the year. What did I get when I turned it on....Al Michaels going on and on about how it was a historic night because it was the first time in NFL history that 2 black coaches and two black starting quarterbacks were in the game. What the hell.....two great teams, regardless of color, with two great coaches (Tony Dungy and I forget the other guys name, but he made history with his post game speech in Arizona) were playing that night. Did liberal Al talk about defense, offense, coaching strategy? NO. It was all about the history of the night. It got so bad that I turned it off.

So don't put your liberal crap out there that Republicans and right wingers like me are racist. I am American. Nothing more, nothing less. And I don't need some liberal know it all to tell me that my political affiliations and views make me racist. That is BS, and you should apologize for your remarks. (I doubt you will, because you liberals only see offense when it is you pointing it out, you never see your own racist tendencies).

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 4

I do not believe that. I think it's because of its abuse, regardless of WHO is getting it. The fact that it's been confirmed by IRS that there is massive EITC being fraudulently claimed for "dependents" in Mexico may seem like it's prejudice, but in truth it's not because it's Mexico, it's because it's FRAUD. And the fact that there is more such fraud in minority neighborhoods is not about prejudice, either. It's because it's abuse of honest, taxpaying citizens.

The refundable education credits are subject to much less fraud, probably because there is more documentation involved before it can be claimed. As for the attitude of preparers to it, at least part of it is because it's one of the few tax credits that is mostly used by folks like us, [most of us anyway] middle income working people.

The education credits are often brought up in any discussion of the identity theft the IRS is dealing with. I would bet a lot of fraud gets passed off as identity theft when the IRS catches up. "It wasn't me!" I'm sure all the refundable credits also are high fraud. Like how TIGTA came down on IRS on ITINs being issued with fraud indicators. I'll bet there are a lot of ITINs getting taxpayers who may not even be here legally a refundable additional child tax credit for dependents that do not exist.

I think all refundable tax credits should be removed. I'm not against helping the less fortunate, I just do not think the income tax return is the proper place nor is the IRS the proper entity to administer the welfare payments.

• Like 2

You are the one who brought skin color into the discussion. You associated predudice against EIC recipients as racism, fanned by Republican states and right wing talk shows. Well, I am a Republican and I am further right than most of my neighbors in this beautiful screwed up state. What I am not is racist. I have eaten tortillas off the back of a truck tailgate in the strawberry fields of Watsonville with some of the hardest working, kindest, brown skinned, beautiful people in the world. Most of them illegal. And I think they should have to go back because they broke the law. I see all races come into my office and go through the same EITC checklist for all of them. I try to treat every person based on the creed of Martin Luther King Jr. "to see not the color of their skin, but the content of their character". I don't believe poverty or social status gives anyone the "right" to break the law. And I don't think the law should see color in anthing they do.

What ticks me off is the liberals who need to push color in my face at every opportunity. I remember one year being very excited to see a Monday Night Football game. The high powered offense of the Minnesota Vikings in the Randy Moss era were playing the ferrocious defense of the Tampa Bay Buccanneers led by Warren Sapp. On paper, this should have been the game of the year. What did I get when I turned it on....Al Michaels going on and on about how it was a historic night because it was the first time in NFL history that 2 black coaches and two black starting quarterbacks were in the game. What the hell.....two great teams, regardless of color, with two great coaches (Tony Dungy and I forget the other guys name, but he made history with his post game speech in Arizona) were playing that night. Did liberal Al talk about defense, offense, coaching strategy? NO. It was all about the history of the night. It got so bad that I turned it off.

So don't put your liberal crap out there that Republicans and right wingers like me are racist. I am American. Nothing more, nothing less. And I don't need some liberal know it all to tell me that my political affiliations and views make me racist. That is BS, and you should apologize for your remarks. (I doubt you will, because you liberals only see offense when it is you pointing it out, you never see your own racist tendencies).

Tom

Hollister, CA

Well spoken! You and I are most likely on the same spot in the conservative group. Personal responsibility is one of the biggest hinge pins of my beliefs.

• Like 2

Guest Taxed

Bulldog and Jack I will say it again. Prejudice against EITC recipients ARE fanned by Foxnews and right wing media. I have watched those shows and I bet you know those shows as well. Just start watching Foxnews starting at 8pm!

I do not know you guys personally, however based on your reaction to my comments, it is confirmed that you share the same views.

Bulldog and Jack I will say it again. Prejudice against EITC recipients ARE fanned by Foxnews and right wing media. I have watched those shows and I bet you know those shows as well. Just start watching Foxnews starting at 8pm!

I do not know you guys personally, however based on your reaction to my comments, it is confirmed that you share the same views.

All hail the accomplished Psychologist and Crystal Ball reader! He knows our personality and belief structures from our few posts in this thread! I WANT that ability!!! I am also insulted that you think I cannot develop my own ideas and beliefs.

BTW, you must not be too offended or put off by Foxnews and "right wing media", to know as much as you do about them, you must watch them an awful lot!!

The only "fanning" that comes from any conservative media, is the "fuming" of liberals who do not think an opinion different than theirs is acceptable.

What problem do you have with personal responsibility being the basis of a belief structure? You spout words that sound like everyone around watches "right wing media" and blindly accepts what they have to say, and adopt it as a belief structure and way of life.

It is my observed opinion that you can only advance your thoughts by attacking the person making a statement that disagrees with you, as if you are the Pontif of all opinions.

Your arrogant pompousness is one for the record books! Noted that you have only been a member here a few (5) months and have NO IDEA of the community and the people here. Continue your broad swiping brush stroke comments, and you will find the other nice and decent people here simply ignoring you.

• Like 3