ATX Community

RTRPs, EAs, competency test and continuing education

TaxMan60601

Got this yesterday, via email. http://globaledusa.com/prometric/tax.html

Then check the IRS Tax Pros section and found "Update: On Friday, Feb. 1, the court modified its order to clarify that the order does not affect the requirement for all paid tax return preparers to obtain a preparer tax identification number (PTIN). Consistent with this modification, the IRS has reopened the online PTIN system"

Although still under constructions, there are new features shown on the website, like View Returns Filed Per PTIN and View My Continuing Education Credits, including useful explanation about program number.

Guest Taxed

I have a feeling that IRS will make Registered Tax Preparer designation voluntary and use that to promote a new tax preparer database that will sort of hint that you better use one of them for your tax prep needs. It may also allow the general public to look at CE credits or disciplinary action by tax preparer name or PTIN??

Guest Taxed

I think until the dust settles (after all appeals are exhausted) IRS is not going to recognize or promote RTP designation in any official capacity. I read somewhere that RTP are not suppose to promote that designation in their literature or websites etc.

I think until the dust settles (after all appeals are exhausted) IRS is not going to recognize or promote RTP designation in any official capacity. I read somewhere that RTP are not suppose to promote that designation in their literature or websites etc.

To my knowledge, that is NOT true. We took the test, we passed it, we traveled many miles and spent many dollars to comply with the testing. We received a certificate from the IRS to that effect. My understanding is that I can (and do) use that designation on my business cards, letterhead, etc and have the certificate on the wall in my office. Someone please correct me with a cite if I am wrong.

Guest Taxed

This is what I saw at NATP site:

I received my RTRP certificate, can I continue to use the RTRP designation? (updated 2.22.2013)
Preston Benoit, Deputy Director of the Return Preparer Office, said that due to the injunction, the IRS neither recognizes nor endorses the RTRP credential. The IRS will not comment on whether or not a professional can use the credential, but he did say there was nothing stopping professionals from displaying their certificates.

So I guess you are displaying something that is not (yet) recognized?

I let clients know I passed the required testing and display my certificate in my office. I really do not expect the Service to be able to resurrect the program. I think they will lose on appeal and have virtually no chance of getting authority for it out of a Republican House of Representatives especially with all the trouble they are currently in.

That is of course true. However, it was an IRS sanctioned exam and that is what I want them to know. It is not false to say " I passed the IRS exam". The test cost me a not inconsiderable amount of money and with no chance of any refund from the IRS I am going to darn well derive a benefit from my efforts.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

How many of your clients feel different about you since you hung that certificate on your wall?

Years back I decided to take a few courses at HRB and I hung their certificate on the wall. A few of my smart mouth clients said, so now are you going to charge us like HRB????

I received flowers, plants and congratulations from many. It didn't change how they felt about me, but it did reinforce their belief that I would be around for a while....many tell us every year that we cannot retire until they do. :wacko:

If I posted the certificates from all the classes I attend, I would have run out of wall space in my office 9 years ago, and in the rest of my house 5 years ago. I have my CPA certificate, my degrees, my biz license (required) and certificates from tax & accounting organizations I belong to.

• Like 1