ATX Community

NT: Storm Andrea

Catherine

Most people with a car that old don't even carry collision. Of course, it depends on the shape and condition of the car and/or the laws of the state. In any case, comp is very inexpensive, but in WI (land of snow and salt) a 2001 Buick might not be worth much. As I said, it all depends on facts.

Guest Taxed

Car was worth at best $1000 (over 130,000 miles and a few dings). Full comprehensive would have cost her around $700 per year. Her deductible is $500 and she thinks that she can have the car cleaned and detailed for less than that.

Car was worth at best $1000 (over 130,000 miles and a few dings). Full comprehensive would have cost her around $700 per year. Her deductible is $500 and she thinks that she can have the car cleaned and detailed for less than that.

So, what was the issue here? Natural disaster and flood aside, there was very little to pay for after deductible.

She will also need to be on the lookout for electrical problems in the future. Oftentimes they don't show up right after the flooding, but then contacts & connections begin to corrode and odd things begin to happen. Seat belt retractors can also rust, which would be a definite safety hazard. Mold & mildew can also form in places & panels which are inaccessible.

A car that had been flooded by fresh water is less of a concern than one which had been flooded by salt water, but in either case problems can surface long after the car appears to have dried out.

• Like 2

She needs to fire her insurance agent. Find one that is not bent on ripping her off! Comprehensive coverage is usually the lowest priced coverage for an automobile.

Guest Taxed

I was not aware that Comprehensive insurance does not carry deductible as a rule? I have to call Geico and find out?

My policy renews automatically each year and they just bill my credit card.

Many states require collision insurance, which is basically to protect the person you hit, rather than yourself. Comprehensive on a car worth only $1000 is probably not worth buying, unless there is no deductible. This varies from state to state.

But I strongly agree with John, a car that has been flooded is going to be nothing but problems pretty soon. The smell and damage to the interior is nothing, it's the corrosion and damage to the wiring that is going to make it not worth anything soon.

Many states require collision insurance, which is basically to protect the person you hit, rather than yourself. Comprehensive on a car worth only $1000 is probably not worth buying, unless there is no deductible. This varies from state to state.

But I strongly agree with John, a car that has been flooded is going to be nothing but problems pretty soon. The smell and damage to the interior is nothing, it's the corrosion and damage to the wiring that is going to make it not worth anything soon.

I think you mean liability instead of collision. Liability covers any damages caused by you to another person or property. Collision covers your car in the same situation.

• Like 2