ATX Community

EFIN Reverification

Thomas Atticus ( A former ATX user) has posted on Yahoo Tax Pro Exchange that Drake is requiring all of its customers to resubmit A copy of EFIN letter for reverification.

His comment was that this requirement apparently apply to all software company.

I have been using ATX and I never got any such request from ATX for reverification of EFIN Number..

does anybody else know anything about it?

Naveen Mohan

Drake is requiring all holders of EFIN to submit the EFIN letter or the statement from e-services prior to e-filing next season. The document can be uploaded to them or faxed. This is being done to prevent fraud.

I believe CCH did similar verification for new users last season at least for Taxwise.

Been using tax software for 14 years, ATX for 13 of those. Only was asked once to send the EFIN letter, and that was for the initial setup for e-filing for tax year 2002. Never have been asked again.

I am not sure how you would get one now since the IRS stopped sending them. In 2002, it had to be the latest one sent by the IRS, not an old one.

Methinks that third hand information is probably not dependable.

A member of support staff on another forum answered this, and said that it is the IRS that is requiring the software companies to verify that the holder's EFIN is really theirs. ATX/CCH required the EFIN letter to be sent to them the first year an ERO signed up with them to transmit through their software, so just as Jack says, it is only required once. If you used ATX last year to e-file returns, you would not have to submit the IRS ERO letter to ATX again this year. Only new users of ATX and those new to e-file would have to submit it to them.

I don't know what people newly signing up for an EFIN get either. Surely they must get some sort of official confirmation showing the number to print out at least.

>>> I don't know what people newly signing up for an EFIN get either. Surely they must get some sort of official confirmation showing the number to print out at least.

I believe just like how we can print the statement when we renew our PTIN.

Also all of us with EFIN can go to the Tax professional e-services and print a statement to serve as verification.

Also all of us with EFIN can go to the Tax professional e-services and print a statement to serve as verification.

E-Services is no longer in existence.

Your information is incorrect. I just went there and printed my own statement.

This is how you get there (sort of difficult):

www.irs.gov

Select For Tax Pros tab (last tab on right)

Select Access E-Services on the left

Select Already Registered Login (If you are not registered do not use this you will have to register first)

Enter username, password and agree to terms and enter the site.

Select your name or organization (if multiple entry)

Eservice -> Application -> E-File Application -> Select the name again -> Select Print summary

It is not easy, the help suck!

I never have any luck with E Services. It always rejects my login and password and then wants AGI for some prior year and then rejects that. I have given up and have not even renewed this year. The IRS used to make a big deal of E Services at the Tax Course that I attend. This year it was never mentioned.

I never have any luck with E Services. It always rejects my login and password and then wants AGI for some prior year and then rejects that. I have given up and have not even renewed this year. The IRS used to make a big deal of E Services at the Tax Course that I attend. This year it was never mentioned.

my experiences exactly

I WAS there with you a few months ago ---- However I telephoned Preparer help line and worked with a GREAT IRS person there to straighten out my e-services account. YOU NEED TO CHANGE PASSWORD, ETC. every 6 months (don't miss it by a day, either)or it throws/locks you out. Then you have to re-new and wait for a snail mail letter with some activation information ...

My "Tasks" NOW HAVE me reminded to change the password, etc. every FIVE (5) months --- so I don't have to await snail mail again.

I WAS there with you a few months ago ---- However I telephoned Preparer help line and worked with a GREAT IRS person there to straighten out my e-services account. YOU NEED TO CHANGE PASSWORD, ETC. every 6 months (don't miss it by a day, either)or it throws/locks you out. Then you have to re-new and wait for a snail mail letter with some activation information ...

My "Tasks" NOW HAVE me reminded to change the password, etc. every FIVE (5) months --- so I don't have to await snail mail again.

I checked in with e-services earlier today after reading some posts on here. My account was locked because I haven't been on in more than 6 months, more likely over a year. I had to enter AGI, old password, and new password twice. I didn't have to wait for any snail mail and was able to unlock and update my password all in one session.

• Like 1