ATX Community

FRAUDULENT TAX PREPARERS

SUE A.

IM NOT SURE IF I WANT TO GET INVOLVED OR IF I JUST WANT TO VENT HERE. A CLIENT CALLED TODAY AND HER NEW HUSBAND WENT AND FILED WITHOUT HER. HE CLAIMED HIMSELF HOH WITH A FAKE NEPHEW. THE TAXPREPARER KNEW THIS AND ACTUALLY HELPED HIM, SHE THEN TOLD HIM TO HAVE HIS WIFE FILE HOH WITH THEIR REAL CHILD FOR EARNED INCOME. THE NEW WIFE IS VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS AND SO AM I. I WAS GOING TO REFER PEOPLE TO HER BECAUSE SHE SPEAKS SPANISH AND I DONT. IM GLAD I KNOW SHE IS CROOKED BEFOR I DID THAT. AM I REQUIRED TO REPORT HER OR SHOULD I JUST MIND MY OWN BUSINESS? I THINK I JUST WANTED TO YELL SOMEWHERE AND ITS STORMING HERE SO I CAME TO THIS BOARD. THANKS FOR LISTENING (READING) SUE

IM NOT SURE IF I WANT TO GET INVOLVED OR IF I JUST WANT TO VENT HERE. A CLIENT CALLED TODAY AND HER NEW HUSBAND WENT AND FILED WITHOUT HER. HE CLAIMED HIMSELF HOH WITH A FAKE NEPHEW. THE TAXPREPARER KNEW THIS AND ACTUALLY HELPED HIM, SHE THEN TOLD HIM TO HAVE HIS WIFE FILE HOH WITH THEIR REAL CHILD FOR EARNED INCOME. THE NEW WIFE IS VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS AND SO AM I. I WAS GOING TO REFER PEOPLE TO HER BECAUSE SHE SPEAKS SPANISH AND I DONT. IM GLAD I KNOW SHE IS CROOKED BEFOR I DID THAT. AM I REQUIRED TO REPORT HER OR SHOULD I JUST MIND MY OWN BUSINESS? I THINK I JUST WANTED TO YELL SOMEWHERE AND ITS STORMING HERE SO I CAME TO THIS BOARD. THANKS FOR LISTENING (READING) SUE

I don't know if you're REQUIRED to report her, but if you can get her name and social security number, you could write

the IRS a letter explaining the situation.

I don't know what the specific address for the IRS would be, but I'm sure they would tell you.

Booger

I don't know if you're REQUIRED to report her, but if you can get her name and social security number, you could write

the IRS a letter explaining the situation.

I don't know what the specific address for the IRS would be, but I'm sure they would tell you.

Booger

PS Maybe it was ignorance of the rules, and not fraud, that caused the preparer to do what she did.

Booger

I DONT THINK THIS WAS IGNORANCE ON HER PART AS SHE MADE SURE TO TELL THE HUSBAND TO HAVE HIS WIFE GIVE A DIFFERENT ADDRESS FROM HIS TO KEEP FROM GETTING CAUGHT. THANKS FOR THE PHONE NUMBER. ILL KEEP IT, BUT IM NOT SURE IF I WILL REPORT OR NOT AT THIS TIME. SUE. ALSO WHEN THE WIFE TALKED TO THE PREPARER AND ASKED HER WHY SHE DID THIS, THE PREPARER TOLD HER IT WAS THE BEST WAY TO GET MORE BACK AND SHE REFUSED TO FILE AN AMENDED RETURN TO CORRECT THE RETURN.

I would simply file the wife correctly, with the correct address, and let the chips fall where they may. Let her know what the penalties are for fraud, which her new husband is complicit with and responsible for. (If he actually signed and filed the return with the fake nephew, he has accepted the responsibility for that fraudulent tax return.)

I DONT THINK THIS WAS IGNORANCE ON HER PART AS SHE MADE SURE TO TELL THE HUSBAND TO HAVE HIS WIFE GIVE A DIFFERENT ADDRESS FROM HIS TO KEEP FROM GETTING CAUGHT. THANKS FOR THE PHONE NUMBER. ILL KEEP IT, BUT IM NOT SURE IF I WILL REPORT OR NOT AT THIS TIME. SUE. ALSO WHEN THE WIFE TALKED TO THE PREPARER AND ASKED HER WHY SHE DID THIS, THE PREPARER TOLD HER IT WAS THE BEST WAY TO GET MORE BACK AND SHE REFUSED TO FILE AN AMENDED RETURN TO CORRECT THE RETURN.

I would simply file the wife correctly, with the correct address, and let the chips fall where they may. Let her know what the penalties are for fraud, which her new husband is complicit with and responsible for. (If he actually signed and filed the return with the fake nephew, he has accepted the responsibility for that fraudulent tax return.)

This is why one of these days I'm going to put up my sign

My miracle for the day was getting out of bed therefore I can not guarantee you a refund or changes the rules to suit you, or make up numbers to prepare your taxes with.

THANKS ALL. I FILED THE WIFE MFS AND THAT WAS THAT. SHE BROUGHT THE HUSBANDS COPIES WITH HER AND SO IM CERTAIN THAT HE DID FILE INCORECTLY AND RECEIVED A RAL. JUST FOR GIGGLES I RAN THE FIGURES TO SEE WHAT THE REFUND WOULD BE HAD THEY FILED TOGETHER PROPERLY. HE GAINED APPROXIMATELY 35 DOLLARS. IT AMAZES ME WHAT PEOPLE WILL RISK TO GAIN SO LITTLE. ANYWAY WHO KNOWS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN DOWN THE ROAD IF I OPEN THIS CAN OF WORMS. SO I HAVE DECIDED TO LET IT GO AS FAR AS MY INVOLVEMENT. JACKSON HEWITT EVENTUALLY GOT CAUGHT AND I WOULD IMAGINE THIS PREPARER WILL TOO. SUE

Pondering.... Isn't being aware of this and not reporting it no different than witnessing a crime (say a convenience store robbery) and not reporting that to the police? Previous posts in this thread indicate a number you can call anonymously, just like the police have a tip line to report details of a crime. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the difference here between the two scenarios.

>>you actually saw the evidence of the crime<<

The "evidence," both verbal and printed, is simply hearsay provided by someone who is "very upset" and not a disinterested party in any case. It MIGHT be enough to interest the IRS in an audit, but certainly not investigation as a crime.

Meanwhile, the preparer is building a nice reputation for ratting out clients. That's right--don't think the wife is upset enough to appreciate you getting her ever-lovin' a big fine!

THATS ONE OF THE REASONS I HESITATE. IM IN A SMALL TOWN HERE AND IT WOULD PROBABLY BE SUSPICTED THAT I WAS THE ONE. ALSO FOR ALL I KNOW I MAY HAVE CURRENT CLIENTS WHO MAY BE AFFECTED BY THIS FROM AN OLD TAX RETURN. ITS MY EXPERIENCE THAT WE ALL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF OUR ACTIONS SOONER OR LATER. IM INCLINED TO DO MY JOB HONESTLY AND STAY OUT OF THIS ONE.

We have so many of these her in South Florida. I had a recent client who was attempting to get his citizenship. His preparer had filed the last 5 years as HOH for a married couple, claiming 2 of their 4 children on each return to the the EIC. I amended his returns for immigration because he was not filing as married and both wanted to become citizens. Anyway, he owed nearly 8k after all was said and done.

maxflitom