ATX Community

The best way to keep track of document still needed

I always added a column the return manager and made brief notes there. If it was only one or two items I put the details there. If much more detail was needed, I'd enter "waiting on info" and the notes of unresolved matters or missing information would be with the client's file and source docs.

I also used 2 other columns in return manager with info about e-files. One was for the status of those e-files through the system with brief notes like "wait'g on sig forms", "sent/acks?", "complete". The other e-file column I used in return manager was to indicate what returns were or were not e-filed with the column heading of "Efile Y/N". Entries were something like "Y-Fed & DE", "Y-Fed, Y-DE, N-PA" , "None". I wanted to see the status of everything in the return manager.

Returns were not marked as "complete" until out the door, e-filed, AND backed up. If anything still required any action on my part, it was not marked complete.

• Like 1

I have a spreadsheet I use, and the client's line is color-coded by what's going on: received papers, untouched; in progress; waiting for documents; etc. (Have given copies of this out before; if you - or anyone - would like that spreadsheet drop me a note or post here and I'll send it along.)

When I know there is one TYPE of item I am looking for, I flag that item in the return as estimated, either in the input screens or on the forms page.

• Like 2

I have a spreadsheet I use, and the client's line is color-coded by what's going on: received papers, untouched; in progress; waiting for documents; etc. (Have given copies of this out before; if you - or anyone - would like that spreadsheet drop me a note or post here and I'll send it along.)

When I know there is one TYPE of item I am looking for, I flag that item in the return as estimated, either in the input screens or on the forms page.

I would be interest in your spreadsheet. [email protected]

Currently, I use the status column to track the return. Since all my practice is internet based, if I need info I sent an e-mail to the client and keep a copy on my computer in their file. I notate in the status column 140119 AI - for additional info required. Once a week I will review this column and send out a follow-up if I have not receive the info. If I need to know what I need I simply pull up the copu of the e-mail.

Catherine, I'm impressed with your spreadsheet idea that works for you. You must be very disciplined to remember to go into the file every time a client comes up with missing info, signature, or whatever is needed. I would start off the season faithfully updating the sheet and then as things got busier put it off until days end, weeks end, and eventually never touch it again.

Even though our office is fairly paperless, we track the progress of each return with an old-fashioned routing sheet. When a client comes in or their info is received electronically or by mail, a cover sheet is prepared with their name, phone, date received, and preparer. There's a place on the bottom for missing info, where I'll write things like "need car taxes" and the date I contacted the client. Once the return is done, there's a line for when the client was notified and we can check whether it will be picked up, mailed, or emailed. There are also areas to check off that the 8879 was signed, am 8453 needs to be mailed, payment was received, return was efiled, ACK received.

Returns follow the tried and proven "basket" system." Those that haven't been touched are in one basket. Those in progress or missing info go into another basket. There's a basket for those that are done but awaiting sigs or payment. Ready to efile has its own box, from where they get transferred to the "awaiting ACKs" box, from where they go to the "to scan" box. The routing sheet accompanies each return on this journey and it too is scanned before heading to the shred bin.

Your spreadsheet would make it much easier to see at a glance where each return is. The problem is remembering to use it. With our system at least everything is there, and nothing advances to the next step until it's physically moved there. Sure, we might have to dig around to locate a specific return if need be. I do keep a paper list on top of the untouched returns, adding to it when a new one arrives. I keep another paper list on top of the "need info" pile, to minimize digging. The routing sheet serves its purpose because it is clipped right on top of the client's file and you sort of have to use it.

• Like 3

Been using a database for years to track everything from in date to ack date, phone #'s, etc.

Very easy to sort and print. It also can work as a handy way to track the days appointments.

I use a printed copy of the active returns and use a red pen to note updates and changes.

Makes it easy to know what to update in the database...

Spreadsheet gets updated once or twice a day only (twice in the busiest times). It's actually a nice (but quick) *break* from plowing through returns and gives me a sense of progress to see cells filled in and colors change -- and then I know whose return to tackle next, who to "ping" for the info requested last week, etc. My assistant puts in the very basics - date papers arrived, date scanned, etc.

I tried the routing sheets and they got separated too easily.

I do have several places returns go -- brand new in a file drawer for scanning; in progress next to my desk; ready for pickup over by the conference table.