ATX Community

New Problem with ATX 2013: Export, Import and PPR

Kruskal

I use two computers for my tax returns. Always before, I could Export a return onto a flash drive and Import it into another computer. Now, although, it appears to work, when I try to open the new return, it wants me to buy the PPR fee again! This has never been a problem before.

Although it is much more difficult, I tried Backup/Restore, but it more directly fails on the Restore.

So -- what do I do?

Thanks -- Vincent

PS This also makes me fear what would happen if my computer crashes. My Backup will not work. I guess the best I could hope for is to Import all the returns and pay for them again. Is this really how the system is supposed to work?

I use two computers for my tax returns. Always before, I could Export a return onto a flash drive and Import it into another computer. Now, although, it appears to work, when I try to open the new return, it wants me to buy the PPR fee again! This has never been a problem before.

Although it is much more difficult, I tried Backup/Restore, but it more directly fails on the Restore.

So -- what do I do?

Thanks -- Vincent

PS This also makes me fear what would happen if my computer crashes. My Backup will not work. I guess the best I could hope for is to Import all the returns and pay for them again. Is this really how the system is supposed to work?

Your process will not work in 2013 and PPR. You must forget everything you knew about how the program installed and worked from all previous years. You need to network the computers you will be using. The PPR function may make it impossible to reinstall. It is counting each import as starting a new return.

2013 is not like any previous years. It is not designed to support the process you are trying to use.

Your process will not work in 2013 and PPR. You must forget everything you knew about how the program installed and worked from all previous years. You need to network the computers you will be using. The PPR function may make it impossible to reinstall. It is counting each import as starting a new return.

2013 is not like any previous years. It is not designed to support the process you are trying to use.

So in this new world, how am I to protect myself from my computer breaking?

Thanks for the prompt response -- Vincent

So in this new world, how am I to protect myself from my computer breaking?

Thanks for the prompt response -- Vincent

Backup to a separate device. In return manager, click on "returns", then click on "Backup returns". Click on "Copy backups to local storage," and choose where you want the additional backup put. Be aware, the backup file may be large and I recommend at least 64GB on the device you backup to. Then going forward, the backups will be done both places.

• Like 1

Backup to a separate device. In return manager, click on "returns", then click on "Backup returns". Click on "Copy backups to local storage," and choose where you want the additional backup put. Be aware, the backup file may be large and I recommend at least 64GB on the device you backup to. Then going forward, the backups will be done both places.

Didn't work. On PC2, I used the Admin Console to change the Backup folder to an empty external (Dropbox) folder. Then on PC1, I did a Copy backups to local storage into that external folder. When the two PCs were synced, I opened ATX 2013 on PC2 and Restored one return. It responded with a message saying that one return failed to restore.

Thanks -- Vincent

Didn't work. On PC2, I used the Admin Console to change the Backup folder to an empty external (Dropbox) folder. Then on PC1, I did a Copy backups to local storage into that external folder. When the two PCs were synced, I opened ATX 2013 on PC2 and Restored one return. It responded with a message saying that one return failed to restore.

Thanks -- Vincent

Either use a network setup or a single standalone computer. The method you are trying is not supported.

Use the method I gave you for backing up to an external device. Read the notification information if you do not believe me. Stay out of the admin console unless directed by tech support.

Jack,

I just checked my backups to external drive and they are not backing up automatically as you stated. The files I have there are the ones I originally backed up (copied backup) back on January 12. Since then I have opened and saved many returns. So I don't think it's an automatic thing. I think you will have to do it manually.

Deb!

Jack,

I just checked my backups to external drive and they are not backing up automatically as you stated. The files I have there are the ones I originally backed up (copied backup) back on January 12. Since then I have opened and saved many returns. So I don't think it's an automatic thing. I think you will have to do it manually.

Deb!

The system here at the firm seemed to do both places. However, I have not checked in about an hour. I will look again. Even so, it should be done where I described and not through the admin console.

The system here at the firm seemed to do both places. However, I have not checked in about an hour. I will look again. Even so, it should be done where I described and not through the admin console.

I know how to Backup to an external folder without using the Admin Console. But I don't know how to Restore without using it. How can I point to a Backup on an external folder in order to Restore?

Thanks -- Vincent

Either use a network setup or a single standalone computer. The method you are trying is not supported.

Use the method I gave you for backing up to an external device. Read the notification information if you do not believe me. Stay out of the admin console unless directed by tech support.

Is it possible to go change my setup at this point without repurchasing PPR fees? How can I convert a Standalone installation to a Network one?

Also, is it possible for a Network in include workstations outside the servers LAN? Out on the Internet, like at home?

Thanks -- Vincent

Would all these problems go away if I bought MAX? Could I then have any number of returns shared among any number of computers with standalone installations VIA Export/Import?

If so, will I be able to Import my PPR returns into a new MAX installation?

Thanks -- Vincent

"Also, is it possible for a Network in include workstations outside the servers LAN? Out on the Internet, like at home?"

Thanks -- Vincent

Yes if you use a VPN to connect. (My answer is based on regular network rules, not ATX).

I have seen your questions and I believe you need to call ATX for most of your questions.

ATX2013 does not support VPN. Using VPN to log into ATX from another work location violates the license agreement, and adds unnecessary complications to the program and files.

Why have standalones if you have a network? If you have multiple office locations, you must have multiple licenses and multiple EFINs.

Buying MAX is simply an installation code, and the PPR returns should be in the new version. Check with tech support to be certain.

I do not understand all the complex steps and problems user create to avoid and try to circumvent license agreements.

ATX2013 does not support VPN. Using VPN to log into ATX from another work location violates the license agreement, and adds unnecessary complications to the program and files.

Why have standalones if you have a network? If you have multiple office locations, you must have multiple licenses and multiple EFINs.

Buying MAX is simply an installation code, and the PPR returns should be in the new version. Check with tech support to be certain.

I do not understand all the complex steps and problems user create to avoid and try to circumvent license agreements.

I'm not talking about multiple office locations. It's just my wife and I trying to fill out our personal tax returns. Since we both have notebooks, her office computer, always on, would make a good server -- if going with a server and network is really the solution to this problem we are just facing. We were quite happy with PPR and sending files to each others notebooks using Export/Import as needed.

Does that really violate the licence agreement?

Thanks -- Vincent

I'm not talking about multiple office locations. It's just my wife and I trying to fill out our personal tax returns. Since we both have notebooks, her office computer, always on, would make a good server -- if going with a server and network is really the solution to this problem we are just facing. We were quite happy with PPR and sending files to each others notebooks using Export/Import as needed.

Does that really violate the licence agreement?

Thanks -- Vincent

How many tax returns do you do in a season?

ATX2013 does not support VPN.

I am surprised that ATX will know if a computer is connecting using the VPN or the LAN cable.

There is no way for ATX to know that computer with IP address 182.82.100.3 connected using a LAN cable or if computer using IP address 182.82.100.100 connected using the VPN. Not to mention that both computer authenticate to the same DC and are part of the same domain.

I agree that VPN is not supported and that it violates the agreement.

I am surprised that ATX will know if a computer is connecting using the VPN or the LAN cable.

There is no way for ATX to know that computer with IP address 182.82.100.3 connected using a LAN cable or if computer using IP address 182.82.100.100 connected using the VPN. Not to mention that both computer authenticate to the same DC and are part of the same domain.

I agree that VPN is not supported and that it violates the agreement.

I just skimmed "CCH Small Firm Services Standard Software License Agreement (for Tax Year 2013 Applications)". I also searched it for "network", "server" and "VPN". I didn't find any restrictions of the sort we are talking about. They seem only concerned about the security of THEIR servers.

Seems ironic to me that a preparer would expect his clients to follow IRS regulations, but yet would thoughtlessly ignore parts of the licensing agreement for the software he/she uses?

The software license is location specific, and so is your EFIN. If you prepare returns from another location using VPN at your main office, you violate both agreements as well as risk messing up the program.

A word to the wise should be sufficient...

• Like 1

Seems ironic to me that a preparer would expect his clients to follow IRS regulations, but yet would thoughtlessly ignore parts of the licensing agreement for the software he/she uses?

The software license is location specific, and so is your EFIN. If you prepare returns from another location using VPN at your main office, you violate both agreements as well as risk messing up the program.

A word to the wise should be sufficient...

Their is no "preparer" or client here -- just husband and wife. And there is no EFIN -- just paper.

But, anyway, where is it said that the software license is location specific? And what does "location" mean? If the software is on my notebook and I go on vacation with that computer, do I violate the location restriction if I work on my taxes while on vacation.

The only reason I was even tempted by a VPN connected server is that neither computer (at home) where returns are actually prepared are guaranteed to be ON. And I don't even wish to bother with a server, but Export/Import was taken away from me in 2013.

But just as a point of curiosity, are accounting firms using ATX really not permitted to let their accountants work from home if they are preparing tax returns? THAT might violate ADA reasonable accommodation laws .

This is a website for tax professionals. I will not be a party to helping someone use software in violation of the license agreement.

My assistance on this matter is finished.

This is really sounding crazy. Where is there a requirement that ATX customers be tax professionals?

We are licensed customers. We have a real unlock key. We paid real money for this system. Never were we told this is for professional use only. Where do you get this information?

Years ago, we probably would have bought TurboTax or something except for the 1041 problem. We have been ATX customers since 1998.

Give me a break -- Vincent

This is really sounding crazy. Where is there a requirement that ATX customers be tax professionals?

We are licensed customers. We have a real unlock key. We paid real money for this system. Never were we told this is for professional use only. Where do you get this information?

Years ago, we probably would have bought TurboTax or something except for the 1041 problem. We have been ATX customers since 1998.

Give me a break -- Vincent

This is a website for tax professionals. I will not be a party to helping someone use software in violation of the license agreement.

My assistance on this matter is finished.

This website is NOT part of ATX or CCH. This website was set up for tax professionals to share information and help with tax issues.

You need to go to the official ATX board that you access from www.myatx.com.

• Like 2