ATX Community

How do you plan to handle the Jan 31 opening of E-file?

BulldogTom

I still have last year's opening week debacle in my mind (2 clients did not get their refunds until May that went in the first day of efile - I even called my congressman to try and help with no luck getting the IRS to get off their ass and process the returns). With that kind of history, I am very leary about putting my clients into that potential position again.

Right now, I am telling my clients that I will hold the returns for a couple days until I think the system is working properly. When I tell them that last year 2 people had to wait until May, they seem to be very understanding about a possible 1 week delay in getting their refund.

What are the rest of you telling your early clients?

Tom

Hollister, CA

If the IRS is still processing like they did in the past (I think it's "in by 11 AM on Thursday....refund by next Friday)....there's no difference if you file on 1/31....or 2/6 in the morning.

I was planning on getting them ready to go...and then submitting on 2/5.

Bulldog....did your 2 people have to wait until May because of IRS issues or software issues?

If the IRS is still processing like they did in the past (I think it's "in by 11 AM on Thursday....refund by next Friday)....there's no difference if you file on 1/31....or 2/6 in the morning.

I was planning on getting them ready to go...and then submitting on 2/5.

Bulldog....did your 2 people have to wait until May because of IRS issues or software issues?

Nope!! That is no longer the standard. MEF processes as they are received. The IRS stopped publishing a schedule, since it no longer applies. This year, even more scrutiny of processed files to find fraudulent and Identity Theft returns. This means longer refund times.

I am telling clients 21-30 days or less. I am reinforcing the statement... "Don't call me about your refund status till at least 21 days after filing and you have checked on the status at 'Where's My Refund' on the IRS site."

Remember when waiting 4-6 weeks was acceptable??

Hmmm.....I never paid attention to "MeF" processing as received. I just know the ack came in about 1.3 seconds!

As far as clients bothering me about the refund....if I think there may be an issue, I'll look into it. Otherwise, I tell them to call me by a month or so after submission.

One client just got his NYS refund last month.

It was that stupid check box on the 8867. We checked the box, the IRS pulled the file for review and did not get around to the review until May. The software said it was ack'd, the IRS said it was being reviewed. ATX said they could do nothing, since the return was ack'd. The IRS said they could do nothing because of George W. Bush (at least that what "It will be processed when we can get to it" sounded like to me). They did not process until after the April 15th close of the season. I had about 8 calls into the IRS, and always got the same B.S. Those lazy bastards just don't do their job anymore.

I used to think that I both the IRS and I had the same goal, namely, to get an accurate tax return processed for the taxpayer in as timely a manner as possible. Now I know that they just want their salary and benefits and they don't give a damn about the taxpayers, the tax professional community, or being professionals in their field. My relationship with them has devolved to the point of distaste, distrust, and combative negotiations at every turn. I will do everything in my power to make them work harder on every issues just to make sure they earn every dollar that they take from the American people whom they are sworn to serve but have abandoned.

Sorry for the rant. I still hate ATX more than the IRS, but not by much.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 2