ATX Community

The backup system is still not working right

BulldogTom

Or at least I think it is not working as advertised. I only have about 75 returns in the software, and it took about 30 minutes to back up to my flash drive. If it is only backing up what has changed since the last time, it is very slow.

I think there is still a problem in the backups, but I don't know enough about the technology to know what I don't know, which means that I don't know what I know either. But I know that this doesn't feel right.

Anyone else get that feeling?

Tom

Hollister, CA

Or at least I think it is not working as advertised. I only have about 75 returns in the software, and it took about 30 minutes to back up to my flash drive. If it is only backing up what has changed since the last time, it is very slow.

I think there is still a problem in the backups, but I don't know enough about the technology to know what I don't know, which means that I don't know what I know either. But I know that this doesn't feel right.

Anyone else get that feeling?

Tom

Hollister, CA

When you do a manual backup to a remote device, it makes a complete backup of the returns and program information. Depending upon the speed of your USB ports and the external device, this can take a while.

When you do a manual backup to a remote device, it makes a complete backup of the returns and program information. Depending upon the speed of your USB ports and the external device, this can take a while.

Jack,

Please help me understand what is going on, because I am clueless about how the technology works. What I understood was that only the returns that changed since the previous backup would be backed up to the external source. When my backup got done, it says it backed up 134 items. I did not do that many returns, nor did I do any combination of adding that many new payers and returns and form rates since the last backup. So, is it backing up everything every time or just what changed?

I am very confused, but it may just be that the days of the 5 minute backup are over and 30 minutes is the norm.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Jack,

Please help me understand what is going on, because I am clueless about how the technology works. What I understood was that only the returns that changed since the previous backup would be backed up to the external source. When my backup got done, it says it backed up 134 items. I did not do that many returns, nor did I do any combination of adding that many new payers and returns and form rates since the last backup. So, is it backing up everything every time or just what changed?

I am very confused, but it may just be that the days of the 5 minute backup are over and 30 minutes is the norm. You are correct. To make the backup dependable, the program backs up the last 5 times each return is open. This is why the file is large.

Tom

Hollister, CA

What process are you using to make your remote device backup? Be specific. How large is the file and how many clients do you have.

You misunderstood the process for backing up to a remote device. Each time you perform it, it backs up all returns, document files, program settings and info.

Jack,

I know you say forget previous years. Previous years included name of client in the backup file. 2013 doesn't have the name of the client, just a string of numbers/letters. How can we identify a specific backup file with a client? I see if I do an export, I get names listed.

Export only saves client return information. No e-file information or program settings are saved. No preferences etc. The backup file saves the last 5 instance of each return being opened. This is one of the reasons the file is large. When you export, you only get the current version of information in the return.

We are over 600 clients at the firm, and have only had one instance where I needed to use the restore function. It worked like a charm. The paranoia of last year needs to be forgotten. If you copy the backup file to external media, and the situation arises that you need to restore from it instead of the program generated one, the program will show the names.

I hear paranoia and fear from last year's debacle in your words. No need to be exporting all your clients. Do the backup to the external device as often as makes you comfortable, and save the time you have spent exporting.

Jack I like you I really do and I think you are a very knowledgeable individual but I am perplexed to this day why you defend ATX as if it were you child. I get things need to be done a certain way or it wont work properly but that is the thing. You should not have to do things a certain way and the people at CCHSFS do not care to address this or any other problem they just want to do patches along the way. Sure it is a $$$ issue just as switching to an open source database like Raven was but at some point you got to spend a dime or two to make things work properly without expecting your customers to know the software backwards and forwards.

Jack I like you I really do and I think you are a very knowledgeable individual but I am perplexed to this day why you defend ATX as if it were you child. I get things need to be done a certain way or it wont work properly but that is the thing. You should not have to do things a certain way and the people at CCHSFS do not care to address this or any other problem they just want to do patches along the way. Sure it is a $$$ issue just as switching to an open source database like Raven was but at some point you got to spend a dime or two to make things work properly without expecting your customers to know the software backwards and forwards.

Why are you using it?

Why are you using it?

We did not put enough time and effort into switching or evaluating another company. We purchased Drake but did not allow enough time for the learning curve since its setup is different from ATX which you know since you went to a Drake seminar, We had hopes they would fix the program in yr 2 as everything has some kinks that need to be worked out but it still feels like you have to know the program as well as the developers to make it function at times. For example there is no reason we should have redone 4 returns this season because the data was corrupt to the point ATX could no recover the file and the backup was either corrupt as well or the software just did not backup.

We did not put enough time and effort into switching or evaluating another company. We purchased Drake but did not allow enough time for the learning curve since its setup is different from ATX which you know since you went to a Drake seminar, We had hopes they would fix the program in yr 2 as everything has some kinks that need to be worked out but it still feels like you have to know the program as well as the developers to make it function at times. For example there is no reason we should have redone 4 returns this season because the data was corrupt to the point ATX could no recover the file and the backup was either corrupt as well or the software just did not backup.

Choices.

Why are you using it?

Well, I'm using it because it's the only software I've ever used, I tried Drake last year and hated it, and you have assured us 2013 would be great. And so far, I've had a lot of fun preparing 97 returns, no problem atall, but my ATX 2013 is NOT backing up. I'm not an IT guy, I'm a tax preparer. At your firm, there are tax preparers, and there is you, the IT guy. I work alone. Not really in a position to put a firm together, complete with an IT guy. Yes, we know you do taxes, but it's pretty clear that you like helping us with the computer stuff. I'm thrilled that it's not taking five hours to do a one-hour return, I've not had to buy $1300 worth of computer this year, and I'm not bailing because of no backups, but it'd be nice to have backups. (Yes, I do external backups.)

Well, I'm using it because it's the only software I've ever used, I tried Drake last year and hated it, and you have assured us 2013 would be great. And so far, I've had a lot of fun preparing 97 returns, no problem atall, but my ATX 2013 is NOT backing up. I'm not an IT guy, I'm a tax preparer. At your firm, there are tax preparers, and there is you, the IT guy. I work alone. Not really in a position to put a firm together, complete with an IT guy. Yes, we know you do taxes, but it's pretty clear that you like helping us with the computer stuff. I'm thrilled that it's not taking five hours to do a one-hour return, and I've not had to buy $1300 worth of computer this year, and I'm not bailing because of no backups, but it'd be nice to have backups. (Yes, I do external backups.)

Your system is backing up. On the computer you are using as the server or your standalone, look in C:program datacch small firm servicesATX 2013 ServerBackup. This is the folder that ATX backs up to every time you close a return. It will store the last 5 times each return is opened and closed.

When you do the manual backup to an external source, this is the folder that is duplicated on the external drive.

DO NOT make changes in the ADMIN CONSOLE. ATX will be releasing a notice concerning changes being made in ADMIN CONSOLE causing much of the trouble this year.

Last year I had two years backup on a 4gb flash drive. It was easy to backup all data. Atx changed it because they want you to buy portal safe.

You know not of what you speak. Forget all you know or knew about last year. 2013 is a totally different program from the bottom up. Issues are cropping up, but it is NOT the same as 2012.

Read my previous posts.

Yes, even on a stand alone, CCH is backing up in a folder named ATX2013 Server. That is why I couldn't find it at first. I have Drake and ATX this year. Yes, it's a pain trying to learn a different program. I'm using ATX mostly. But I plan to give both a fair evaluation and that's why I paid the extra dollars. It hurt but I knew it would take some time. Maybe not until summer or fall.

Your system is backing up. On the computer you are using as the server or your standalone, look in C:program datacch small firm servicesATX 2013 ServerBackup. This is the folder that ATX backs up to every time you close a return. It will store the last 5 times each return is opened and closed.

When you do the manual backup to an external source, this is the folder that is duplicated on the external drive.

DO NOT make changes in the ADMIN CONSOLE. ATX will be releasing a notice concerning changes being made in ADMIN CONSOLE causing much of the trouble this year.

System is not backing up at all. I did a manual backup a few weeks ago at 113 return and since then we are up to 193 and not the first one is in the backup/restore location.

Sorry did not make a change.

jshtax, I think Jack is correct that something you've done is creating your backup problem:

From the "Back Up folder size issue WARNING" topic ( ), your post from 1/25/14 that is #28 in that thread:

Mine wasnt even backing up that I was aware of until I went into the admin console I ran the backup and it created some folders.

Post #5 in this topic where you accessed the admin console to perform backup functions:

And back in December, we both questioned why ATX had published written instructions on their website and in their printed materials that changing the backup location was possible:

Remember?

• Like 1

Okay.

1. I never changed backup location.

2. I was told to do a system wide backup to preserve files

3. System was never auto backing up/saving or backing up upon closing a return that is why I was told to do a manual system backup.

4. Only files that have ever been "backed up" are when atx got on phone selected all files and did a backup.

The problem is the POS software will not backup after closing returns or anything else unless I go under returns and select all returns and do it manually.