ATX Community

jshtax

I have sent a fervent e-mail to my connections at ATX asking WTF?

Here is what I know about updating to 13.4:

If you are using on ONE computer, just do the update.

If you are using more than one computer in a network:

1. Update the computer designated as the "server" for ATX. If you have a dedicated server do the update there first.
  2. Update each of the other computers ONE AT A TIME!!! We lost an hour when I had 4 different systems doing program updates at the same time. When All systems were updated, I had to shut down all computers, reboot the server and restart the workstations one at a time. At this point, all seems to be working except the "server retry" problem is happening more often.
  3. If you are having major issues after updating, follow the procedure I stated in #2 above and do NOT miss any steps or instructions.

More info if I get it from ATX.

I have sent a fervent e-mail to my connections at ATX asking WTF?

Here is what I know about updating to 13.4:

If you are using on ONE computer, just do the update.

If you are using more than one computer in a network:

1. Update the computer designated as the "server" for ATX. If you have a dedicated server do the update there first.
  2. Update each of the other computers ONE AT A TIME!!! We lost an hour when I had 4 different systems doing program updates at the same time. When All systems were updated, I had to shut down all computers, reboot the server and restart the workstations one at a time. At this point, all seems to be working except the "server retry" problem is happening more often.
  3. If you are having major issues after updating, follow the procedure I stated in #2 above and do NOT miss any steps or instructions.

More info if I get it from ATX.

Printing slowness might have been on me I did not realize I had 2 returns open at same time.

Hello, folks. We're using standalone installations on XP. During the auto-update this morning to 13.4, we ran into a hang on each machine. The InstallShield Wizard window was about 2/3rds of the way through the progress bar, and it said:

Installing package

Removing Windows Firewall Rules

This sat there for about 5-10 minutes before we lost patience with it and cancelled the installer. Note that the installer still didn't cancel; by clicking "Cancel" we got a confirming dialog box, but the InstallShield Wizard window remained in place, and after another 5 minutes I just stopped the process via Task Manager.

This problem remained constant regardless if XP's default firewall was set ON or OFF.

Still, when restarted, ATX 2013 claimed it was now at version 13.4.0.23, forms version 424. And it seems to function.

So... did the install actually complete? Why did it stall?

Hello, folks. We're using standalone installations on XP. During the auto-update this morning to 13.4, we ran into a hang on each machine. The InstallShield Wizard window was about 2/3rds of the way through the progress bar, and it said:

Installing package

Removing Windows Firewall Rules

This sat there for about 5-10 minutes before we lost patience with it and cancelled the installer. Note that the installer still didn't cancel; by clicking "Cancel" we got a confirming dialog box, but the InstallShield Wizard window remained in place, and after another 5 minutes I just stopped the process via Task Manager.

This problem remained constant regardless if XP's default firewall was set ON or OFF.

Still, when restarted, ATX 2013 claimed it was now at version 13.4.0.23, forms version 424. And it seems to function.

So... did the install actually complete? Why did it stall?

Scrap the XP machine and start over. This is not sarcasm, but totally sound advice. Otherwise, you will be plagued with problems the entire season.

Scrap the XP machine and start over. This is not sarcasm, but totally sound advice. Otherwise, you will be plagued with problems the entire season.

Reading your stuff on this forum (as a long-time lurker), I can see that's true. Sadly I'm having trouble getting the owner to commit to an upgrade to Win7. Doubly sadly, I believed CCH's chart of system minimums that I reviewed over the summer. That the "ATX 2013 Service" that governs ATX 2013 can't stay running for more than a few hours at a time, is enough of an indicator to me that the software wasn't designed for XP. We literally have different error indicators on each machine in the office that runs ATX 2013... and these machines are the same hardware, bought in one batch from Dell a few years ago.

Thanks, Jack. I'll have to soldier on.

Reading your stuff on this forum (as a long-time lurker), I can see that's true. Sadly I'm having trouble getting the owner to commit to an upgrade to Win7. Doubly sadly, I believed CCH's chart of system minimums that I reviewed over the summer. That the "ATX 2013 Service" that governs ATX 2013 can't stay running for more than a few hours at a time, is enough of an indicator to me that the software wasn't designed for XP. We literally have different error indicators on each machine in the office that runs ATX 2013... and these machines are the same hardware, bought in one batch from Dell a few years ago.

Thanks, Jack. I'll have to soldier on.

Have your boss come over and work out the problem each time you have one. It worked for me 5 years ago.... Now he doesn't question me.

• Like 1

I updated and rebooted the system just for fun since I hadn't rebooted in a few days and ATX opened very quickly after the install & reboot. I then did the workstation as Jack indicated. Both are working well....at least I haven't heard any howls of frustration from my assistant, so I assume all is good over there.

• Like 1

I also thank jack for your super(hero) atx effort on this general chat board.

thank you. thank you.

our political views are at odds, but I totally defer to your atx insight/wisdom/advise.

the atx program seems to have substantially recovered this year.

I am a small fish...100 returns, i5 win7 6mg, stand alone.

even last year, eventually, I did not have extreme problems.

this year, so far, has been smooth.

xp dinosaurs need their own "XP PROBLEM" forum.

it would greatly reduce the "noise" for folks who have upgraded computer system problems.

I also thank jack for his super(hero) atx effort on this general chat board.

thank you. thank you.

our political views are at odds, but I totally defer to your atx insight/wisdom/advise.

the atx program seems to have substantially recovered this year.

I am a small fish...100 returns, i5 win7 6mg, stand alone.

even last year, eventually, I did not have extreme problems.

this year, so far, has been smooth.

xp dinosaurs need their own "XP PROBLEM" forum.

it would greatly reduce the "noise" for folks who have upgraded computer system problems.

I will not offer help to those that have ignored the recommendation to upgrade hardware for 3 tax seasons now. It was well published that XP is not supported, and for tax year 2014, tech support will not spend time troubleshooting problems on XP machines.

It is 2014, not 1997 any more.

No replies yet. I was supposed to get an e-mail, but alas, nothing. I will hit them with more e-mails that should stir something up tomorrow.

Came home from the firm and completed 6 returns, ate supper, took a 30 minute break, and now ready to finish #7 & #8 today

The connect to server is annoying. I get the hourglass every few minutes freezing the program then it says cant connect to server.

I always get some fresh out the ghetto person on the phone that doesnt know what they are doing. Never had one of them talk about reconfiguring my system.

The development team guy that connected to my system was certain it was due to file locations being changed, or other items in the folder with the system files. I told him before he looked, he was chasing a dream. He installed a diag tool and ran it. Results: System is 100% correctly configured and no files are out of place.

He was silent when that popped up. Therefore, I have a system with a pristine from the beginning configuration that is still experiencing the problems. Hence, I have thrown a big monkey wrench in their idea that ALL the server retry problems are related to files locations being changed.

That being said, 80% of the systems they look at, the same way they checked mine, have file locations that have been altered and other "stuff" in the folders.

So when I sent the e-mail today telling how 13.4 increased the server retry problem, the same development team guy called me directly.

I am hoping he sends me the information he promised.

Film at 11...

Does this fix work:

"An error was encountered while communicating with the..." when opening the ATX 2013 program or a return
Answer ID 14681 | Document ID | Published 01/08/2014 09:09 AM | Updated 02/17/2014 05:25 AM

You receive the following error message when opening ATX 2013 and/or opening a return:

An error was encountered while communicating with the ATX Server. Would you like to retry?

Below are a few items that may resolve this issue so that you stop receiving this error message:

• Update ATX to the latest program version. If you are unable to get into the program, you can update the software via the ATX Solution Center. For instructions on how to update through the Solution Center, see Answer ID: 1795.
  • If you have both the ATX Software and the Fixed Asset Manager software, update both to the latest versions.
  • Verify you meet the minimum system requirements (this includes workstations as well if you are on a network). See Answer ID: 14483to download the System Analysis Tool so that you can verify whether you meet the minimum system requirements. You must meet minimum system requirements to ensure proper software performance and preventing the server connectivity message.

If the above items do not resolve the error, continue with the instructions below.

You could also receive the error message if the Files/Backup paths are configured in a way that creates additional strain on the server even if you have updated to the latest program version and you meet the minimum system requirements.

In order to avoid receiving this error message, users should make sure that they are not setting a Backup/Restore storage location inside a folder that is also being used for the File Storage location. Also, users should NOT set the File Storage Location to a folder that contains other files and folders. This folder should only be used by the ATX 2013 application to store data files. Do not store any other files types in this folder such as prior year software installations, Word or Excel documents, or PDFs.

If the Backup/Restore location is using the same location as the File Storage location or other file types, below are instructions on how to resolve. If you are not comfortable completing the following steps, seek an IT professional. Please read all steps before doing this procedure.

1. Open the system Admin Console and find the file storage location. See Answer ID: 14834for instructions on how to access the Admin Console.
  2. Go to that location using windows explorer.
  3. Inside that folder select everything EXCEPT these folders if they exist. Some of these folders may not exist if they have not been created yet.
    • Assets
    • BankProductData
    • EfileData
    • FAMData
    • FormsetAttachments
    • FormsetData
    • RolloverLogs
    • Template
  4. Move all of the selected files and folders to another location, leaving the specified folders mentioned in step 3.
  5. Create a new folder in the current file storage location. Ex. ATX2013Files This new folder will be your new file storage location.
  6. Go into the admin console and change the file storage location to the new folder you just created.
    a. This will copy your files in your current file storage location to your newly created folder.
  7. Now you are free to move the folder and files you moved in Step 3 back into the original file storage location.

If the instructions listed above do not correct the error message, call Customer Support at 800-638-8291 and refer to Knowledge Base article 14681.