ATX Community

Who do you dislike most?

Pacun

I love my hairdresser. When he had me do 3 years of back taxes, I got my hair done in exchange for a year & a half.

3 years of back taxes should equal 3 years of free hair cuts.

Barter for the hair dresser is not a problem, she would add income on Schedule C and expense it as a business operating expense. Since she gave you such a nice treatment, you only charge for preparing schedule C and file 1040 for free, correct?

In your case, you have to report the income and don't have any business expenses on your hair.

When my hairdresser picked up her taxes on Wed, I suggested that she stop by two days a week on her way to the salon and fix my hair. I told her that would be great advertising for her. She didn't go for that idea, but laid a pile of business cards on my desk for when clients tell me how nice my hair looks. She is also going to steal my business card magnet idea because I told her they were going like hot cakes. We make our own.

The very worst are the attorneys and financial advisors who convince elderly people who have no money to give their homes to their kids or to start trusts. These moves backfire more often than not and are so often unnecessary because the clients don't have much in the way of assets to protect. They end up paying for gift tax returns and annual trust returns, which cost them dearly. Not to mention the dangers of giving their homes away while they still live in them.

I know an attorney couple who promise that when they retire they're going to go to all those free lunches and dinners these sharks offer and loudly start asking questions like "doesn't that only make sense if I have more than $5 (or $10) million?" I'd love to be in the audience.

• Like 2