ATX Community

Who do you dislike most?

Pacun

Who do you dislike most, hair dressers or Realtors?

I hate, I mean dislike realtors. They always tell people that all the closing cost will be refunded when the taxes are prepared. Why do they give advice on something they are not qualified?

Today I heard a realtor on the radio saying that you should buy a house and use it as a home office and then they can open a business and use the house for 3 hours a week and deduct the house and have a loss on their business and that's how uncle Sam gives you money back just by buying a house and opening a business.

What I REALLY love are the Realtors (and why do we capitalize that?) who have a spreadsheet of expenses, list every transaction, usually in the same column with a note to the side. They don't know how to format, so decimals are not lined up. And they use 2 point font. Except for that one entry in 14. Also don't know how to add the column, which would be useful, even though everything is in one column. At least I would know if I missed anything.

I'll take the hair dresser handwritten totals with a big spot of dye and the arrow saying "I spilled dye on this, sorry, Rita, I love you, :)" and ignore the do-overs and gift certificates any day.

• Like 2

Nobody mentioned Insurance Salespersons who sell annuities with promises of immense wealth. Brokers are next on my "hit" list.

I love my Hairdresser client. She does EXACTLY what I tell her to; almost to the point of being a huge pest. She brings me her paperwork (hard to read) but very detailed, has me prepare her sales tax an estimates and never questions my advice. Also, she does a great job on my hair at a fair price.

• Like 1

Realtor, for sure, closely followed by Brokers, the bankers. Hair dressers and barbers are not nearly as bad, because people do not take them as authorities, like they do Realtors, brokers, and bankers.

I have to partially disagree with you on this one, KC. While the hairdressers and barbers are not themselves authorities, their brothers-in-law sure are!

• Like 1

Nobody mentioned Insurance Salespersons who sell annuities with promises of immense wealth. Brokers are next on my "hit" list.

I don't have any of these as clients, but they are not scarce when it comes to showing up at my office saying, "Let's work together and help these clients." Meaning: "Send me your clients, cause I don't know what I'm doing. Oh, and no, I didn't talk to you in high school, but let's have lunch and see how we can work together now. Since you have lots of clients and I don't."

• Like 1

I HATE financial advisors who don't inform their customers that when they take money out of their retirement account it is taxable; or they don't advise them on withholding options; etc. Then when we do their tax return and break the bad news to them, they get mad at us like it is our fault.

• Like 5

If this is multiple choice, I'll go with "E - all of the above".

Yeah, I kinda hate everybody right now. Especially the retired attorney who called on 2/24 saying he would have his two S-Corps and three partnerships to me by 2/28. Not seen hide nor hair of him. That kidder.

• Like 3

OMG, yes, and the new client, whose previous preparer (if you can call it that) retired, and it's like he has never heard any of this. I look at her return, and IRS is apparently not even trying. Never seen so many business miles, pretty sure you can't even drive that much in a year unless you work for NASCAR, and home mortgage interest on the Sch C, just because he put it on the organizer there, and she didn't care, and OMG...

• Like 3

What I REALLY love are the Realtors (and why do we capitalize that?) who have a spreadsheet of expenses, list every transaction, usually in the same column with a note to the side. They don't know how to format, so decimals are not lined up. And they use 2 point font. Except for that one entry in 14. Also don't know how to add the column, which would be useful, even though everything is in one column. At least I would know if I missed anything.

I'll take the hair dresser handwritten totals with a big spot of dye and the arrow saying "I spilled dye on this, sorry, Rita, I love you, :)" and ignore the do-overs and gift certificates any day.

My sister is a hairdresser and I do prepare her taxes. I can so relate to this and agree. It is the people that appreciate all you do for them, not the ones that "KNOW" all about taxes and you "Just hit a Button" but still have you prepare their taxes. At least I can still get my hair done during tax season!

• Like 1

I hate brokers who convince my clients to do Roth conversions because "it will be good for your taxes."

"Did the broker look at your tax return?" I ask. The answer is invariably "no."

What I hate even more is my innocent client's banker, who walked her down the hall and threw her to these wolves.

• Like 1

I love my hairdresser. When he had me do 3 years of back taxes, I got my hair done in exchange for a year & a half.

Which you both correctly reported as barter transactions per IRS Tax Tip 2014-26 which arrived in my email box just a bit ago. http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Bartering-Tax-Center

• Like 1