ATX Community

NT / Windows Live Mail Is Stuck

RitaB

Windows Live Mail is stuck on the screen where the tabs are "Task" and "Errors", and the bar is green as if something has been completed, and at the bottom it says it is executing the sending of three messages. Well, that has been going on for a couple of hours now. And zero of one tasks have completed successfully. You don't say. I can't do anything with email now.

Help?

Sometimes, Excel 97 will cause my computer to hang up. Cursor won't work in any other open applications, and it does weird things in Excel itself. The only thing I know to do is the "Three-Finger Salute" (Ctrl-Alt-Del), which gets me to the Task Manager and I have to manually shut it down, then reboot. Even the shutdown takes a couple of extra steps becaue of how Excel scrambles the computer's brains. I don't bother to report it because MS just slaps my hand & says I'm using ancient software (like I didn't know that already).

I'm not suggesting you actually do that in your situation, unless someone here who is more knowledgeable than I happens to step in and recommend it in your case.

• Like 1

Sometimes, Excel 97 will cause my computer to hang up. Cursor won't work in any other open applications, and it does weird things in Excel itself. The only thing I know to do is the "Three-Finger Salute" (Ctrl-Alt-Del), which gets me to the Task Manager and I have to manually shut it down, then reboot. Even the shutdown takes a couple of extra steps becaue of how Excel scrambles the computer's brains. I don't bother to report it because MS just slaps my hand & says I'm using ancient software (like I didn't know that already).

I'm not suggesting you actually do that in your situation, unless someone here who is more knowledgeable than I happens to step in and recommend it in your case.

No comment.....

Hey, it works!

And it's easier to use than any of the later versions if you aren't doing pivot tables and fancy formatting. All the functions are exactly the same, and a formula in a cell does its job the same way no matter what version you're using.

It's a SPREADSHEET for goodness sakes - looking at the current versions you'd think Microsoft is trying to design an overly fancy tax program or something else with too many bells & whistles. :)

• Like 3

I'm still using Office 2003; with the converter I can open newer versions. No one sends me spreadsheets with complex, multi-page formulations! I've just never seen the need to shell out the $$ for an "upgrade" that (from everyone I know who uses more recent versions) has a huge learning curve and NO extra utility.

• Like 2

I had to buy Excel 2011 for my Mac, and I don't care for Excel 2011. I use it when creating a new spreadsheet on the Mac, but when I'm on the PC I'm back to Excel 97. I'll eventually get used to the later version, but right now it really just plasters a lot of extra fluff at the top of the screen that I have to navigate through to do some vary simple tasks. If I can find a way to streamline the icons, I'll eventually modify it to look something like 97 in order to make it truly useful.

I'm still using Office 2003; with the converter I can open newer versions. No one sends me spreadsheets with complex, multi-page formulations! I've just never seen the need to shell out the $$ for an "upgrade" that (from everyone I know who uses more recent versions) has a huge learning curve and NO extra utility.

I was working on a spreadsheet in that new, sexy office stupid thing today, and thought I'd never find the button for "header". I haven't seen so much crap since all three of my kids got sick at the same time in 1998.

• Like 3

I was using a 2001 Office, but it was an "update." New computer didn't have anything to "update" & I didn't feel like installing my even older MS Works just to install the update. So I decided to just install the free Open Office, instead. My old version was working fine. Just don't feel like jumping through hoops or paying hundreds of $ just to install it on a new computer.

@JohnH - Open Office makes a Mac version - no excess fluff in the tool bars. I used it until I got a Microsoft Office on sale for under $100.

I was using a 2001 Office, but it was an "update." New computer didn't have anything to "update" & I didn't feel like installing my even older MS Works just to install the update. So I decided to just install the free Open Office, instead. My old version was working fine. Just don't feel like jumping through hoops or paying hundreds of $ just to install it on a new computer.

@JohnH - Open Office makes a Mac version - no excess fluff in the tool bars. I used it until I got a Microsoft Office on sale for under $100.

I usually get the Student / Teacher version that is usually under $100. I hung on to Office 2003 as I hated 2007 because you could not find anything on the menu bar unless you setup your personal "Ribbon" and still had to drill down looking for stuff.. Unfortunately it no longer comes with Outlook. I like Outlook for my email. I don't want me email sitting in a cloud somewhere. We had to upgrade to Office 2010 at work, like it much better than 2007, but still has some quirks. Though I do notice that the spreadsheets are smaller file size for the same WS of 1997-2003 vs 2010.

With my Daughter's new laptop for college, I was able to purchase Office 2013 with 4 year use of "University" with all the bells and Whistles of PRO on 2 PC's. Cost $79 for the 4 years. A lot better than the 360 Live, but 2013 has terrible color themes, Gray, Dark Gray, or black background. Everything else is intensely white. Hurts the eyes. But I am learning to live with it. Just be sure to setup the "Ribbon" for those quick functions you use all the time. (Save, Print, Insert Column, Row, Redo (a lot), etc so that you are not constantly drilling down on the menu toolbar looking for your apps. Just a suggestion.... :)

• Like 1

Kea: Thanks for the info on Open Office. But I already paid the full price. I had to get Excel up & running, and seamlessly switchable between the Mac and PC via a flash drive. And I needed it immediately. It does work great, but I sure detest all the nonsense at the top of the screen. There's enough stuff up there to write a tax program...

When I get a minute, I'm going to look into the "Ribbon" that Carolbeck mentioned. I think it may be what I was hoping to find. That may help me cull the herd a little.

• Like 2

I really didn't have any problems switching between MS Office on PC & Open Office on Mac. In fact, while I was only using my old MS Office on PC, I'd get the occasional client spreadsheet that was saved as .xlsx. I would copy it to the Mac, open in Open Office & save back to .xls. Then copy it back to the PC. But I do completely understand about needing to do things in a hurry.

The only comment I'll make is to make sure you are using the same date reference on each program. Back in the OLD days (1980s?) I would see dates change between Mac & PC spreadsheets. They used different starting dates for their numeric versions (1900 vs 1904?). When I was looking through the Open Office settings, I saw they give you a choice of 4 differnt starting dates.

I have considered buying the home / student addition of Microsoft Office for my PC - it would do everything I need at a reasonable price. But Microsoft specifically says that it is not to be used by a business & I don't want to get in trouble with the Microsoft police. I realize that they would probably never know the difference, but, hey, we hear that same excuse from our tax clients. Just sayin'.

• Like 1