ATX Community

Client letter/instructions

jshtax

It defaults to "let atx determine" and always assumes paper filing. How can I make it go to electronic without having to alter each and every return?

Sadly, I have gotten used to altering each and every return. Personally, I am not a fan of creating the e-file (as jshtax suggests) as I do not like to have any returns show up in my e-file manager that are not ready to be e-filed.

• Like 1

I'm curious, has anyone actually used the "Insert Picture" feature in the Edit menu? Where would you? Sure seems an unusual feature in a tax program.

I did, to insert our logo on the letter. If you had a nice head shot, that is another possibility, as well as a captured signature.

I agree - I don't want efiles created that aren't ready to be efiled just to have the letter read correctly. In previous years, this feature of the letter was customizable. It seems that now I spend more time on the non-tax input for the system/letters/efile than on the tax data input for the return itself.

Of course, these would be great issues to bring to support and request enhancements, but who has time to sit on hold and explain it during the tax season?

Creating the efile is only way to get the letter for states to auto change over to being efiled. The instructions are another issue but it appears you have to mark the box for electronically filing. You would think in 2014 when a majority of people electronically file this would be the default.

Once again I am missing something. I create returns; get 8879 signed; efile; once accepted, print 9325 and client letters to mail or email. Client letters, for me anyway, always say efiled if they were efiled. I also edited the letter to say something about retaining for their records the second electronic copy (that folks have received to review their returns before signing the 8879). I only have to change the efile part for the local returns which cannot be efiled.

Am I just lucky that my letters change and reflect what took place? Time to play the lottery?