ATX Community

Form 4797 page 2 line 32

Joel

This is the sale of a rental home and an installment sale of a different rental home. Page 2 numbers flow down to the bottom of the form with line 30 amount $10562 and line 31 amount $2517. The instructions for line 32 are to subtract line 31 from line 30. ATX result is $0 when it should be $8045. This number then flows to line 6 on page one since it is not a casualty or theft gain. Will someone check their program for form version and calculations?

I have version 92 of the 4797 and also have the sale of a rental property. My line 32 shows $18961; which is not a happy issue for the taxpayer.

My only suggestion at the moment is to check over your input sheet very carefully.

Thankfully, on 3/7 in post 184094, krissi0521 outlined the steps for reporting Sale of Rental Property. I printed it at the time because I knew I had one coming up and the instructions were immensely helpful to me.

• Like 1

Found the answer. (Actually ATX tech support did) Because the property is being sold on an installment sale the line 32 amount of the gain is not reported here but on line 4 of page 1 of the 4797. If it had not been an installment sale, all of the gain would have been reported on line 32. In this case the gain is being held on form 6252 and prorated out based on the payments received each year.

• Like 2