ATX Community

New York has been ranked the “Worst State to be a Taxpayer”

Carolbeck

New York has been ranked the “Worst State to be a Taxpayer” by the website WalletHub.

WalletHub analyzed how state and local tax rates compare to the national median.

The website said New York State’s average annual state and local taxes were $9,718, which is 39 percent higher than the national median.

Rounding out the five worst states according to Wallet Hub were California, Nebraska, Connecticut and Illinois.

The best state to be a taxpayer was Wyoming, followed by Alaska, Nevada, Florida, and South Dakota.

Gee, I could have told them that. :wall:

• Like 3

Yep, prepare lots of NY commuters and my kids' partnership (the bakery.Hancock NY) and reside in CT and own an IL farm and lived in CA for a decade. Guess I'll retire to Nebraska the way I've been picking them!

My dad started his life in South Dakota, but then moved to IL. I guess it's his fault.

We're #1! We're #1! Way to go NY!

Carolbeck - what part of NY are you in?

Isn't just great being #1? I live in Upstate NY, just south of Syracuse - It IS on the map, though Albany does not seem to think so...I get arguments from the County Clerk for my Notary License. Hello, see my property tax statement - YES I do live in this county. Happy to take taxes, but not provide any services.

Good Luck with the rest of your tax season...

Carol

I'm in western NY - not on the map. South of Buffalo, just a stones throw from PA. Just paid my Jan taxes - late because it takes me awhile to accumulate $5400. No doubt NY stinks when it comes to taxes. Just take a look around and the continuing exodus. I know a lot of people around here who hop over the border and live in PA just to avoid some of the tax. And many people who drive the few miles to get cheaper gas or fuel, cigarettes and even clothes. It's nuts.

And while were talking about NYS/ PA I just had a client throw a fit because he has to pay NYS tax this year. He worked in PA and paid PA tax. Why should he have to pay NYS tax too. And you can tell them til you are blue in the face, and they just don't get it. NYS taxes are more. The credit doesn't suck it up. You do.