ATX Community

Downtime

Eric

Howdy, It's been a rough 24 hours.

I have very few details at this point about what is going on -- the data center where my server lives had/is having some very serious issues, possibly related to some bad OS/software updates.

My entire server was inaccessible for about 12 hours yesterday, then it seemed to be working fine for about 6 hours, then went down again for a short time yesterday evening.  

The data center assures me that they are doing everything they can to restore normal service, but they are working server by server and they maintain hundreds, if not thousands of them.

So, my apologies for the downtime from yesterday, and for whatever additional hiccups we have ahead.  Once they have finished their work, I expect them to share the details of the outage, which I'll post here.

What a nightmare.  I may start shopping for a new hosting provider.  Again.

PS - Of all of the sites hosted on this server, this is the one with the most frequently updated database.  If you notice any missing posts, threads, etc, please let me know.  

• Like 1

When I saw the odd message about "SQL Server Error" or something like that yesterday, I only had a couple of thoughts:

1) "Something got sideways in cyberspace."

2) "Eric will know what to do and when to do it."

Thanks for all you do for this forum, Eric.

• Like 4

Something got sideways in cyberspace is a pretty good way to put it.

Unfortunately, I was powerless to do anything but wait, so the what and when were limited to "pacing back and forth pulling my hair out" and "all day yesterday"

I feel bad for the poor support techs at the data center.  They had to answer to thousands of angry website developers, who were getting pressure from their clients.  I imagine that's what tax season at CCH has been like for the past couple years.

• Like 1