ATX Community

ACA - supplemental instructions for clients - please comment

easytax

Here is a PDF of a supplemental ACA instruction document I am thinking about giving my clients (my practice is almost all 1040 with few sch C, etc.) .

Please review and comment. I want to make sure all bases are covered so the clients have all they need when sending their documents, etc.  If I have missed something or the wording is vague or wrong, please share your ideas, etc..

Given that with the proper information the ACA (as I understand it) is time consuming unless there was full year coverage --- BUT --- if we have "what we need", time can be greatly lessened. With that in mind, I am thinking of giving the supplemental document out in hopes that the client will MAKE SURE they have most of the ACA documents they might need and supply them to me right away.

Again, this is first blush - so any/all help is appreciated.

ACA supplemental form 2 120214.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Too much information.  It sounds like THEY have to calculate the SRP, for instance.  Tell them what you need them to take action on:  what to bring, where to go to get an exemption, etc.  Make it kind of a decision tree order:  If you and everyone on your tax return had Minimum Essential Coverage (or whatever it's called) all year -- then bring me this; if one or more of you had less than full year coverage -- then I need to know this information; if you did not have coverage -- do you fit one of these exemptions, then bring me your certificate -- or do you fit one of these other exemptions, then I need to know this about you.  That kind of thing.  More bullet points and less text.  The way you described your clients, I don't think all of them will read five pages, let alone understand five pages re the very new ACA when all of us professional have spent hours in classes and reading about it.  Really let them know (I know, you hit upon this in your intro) that YOU are trained to help them with what the ACA means to their tax returns, but this is what they need to bring you this year that they never had to bring you before.  And, yes, you were good about not using acronyms without also putting them in words.

Easytax are you giving that to all of your cliens?

All new clients as the main ones I have ALL are fully covered (YEA !) and we have had discussions on "should ANYTHING CHANGE" call me immediately.

Therefore, just a preemptive strike to try to help those that do not know.

Additionally, may help with generating some new clients.

Point taken about wordy and using bullet points (I will be revising my letter.). Also, most of my clients do not open my communications (letters), so I call for important things.   BUT --- have to try --- I am "anal". :wacko:

Thanks.