ATX Community

Tax Return Creative Advertising

Lee B

From Forbes - Tax Prep Window Posters

1.  Free Beats headphones if we prepare your Tax Return ( Rock on Bro! )

2.  We will pay you $ 100 if we file your Tax Return ( Don't sweat the details !)

3.  Free Food and Beautiful Girls ( and your favorite alcoholic beverage while you wait ?)

Clients already know we have soda and coffee. And sadly, we have a history over several years of being "creative" with Schedules C and E. Changing the creative culture is very difficult; I dearly wish the IRS would make good on its threat to fine preparers $1000 for unreasonable positions and $5000 for reckless positions. That way, the taxpayers would stop expecting us to lie for them.

Oops, did I use the L-word? Sorry, I meant to say "be creative for them".

Clients already know we have soda and coffee. And sadly, we have a history over several years of being "creative" with Schedules C and E. Changing the creative culture is very difficult; I dearly wish the IRS would make good on its threat to fine preparers $1000 for unreasonable positions and $5000 for reckless positions. That way, the taxpayers would stop expecting us to lie for them.

Oops, did I use the L-word? Sorry, I meant to say "be creative for them".

I hope you aren't implying that anyone on this forum is "being creative" or outright lying for their clients. I certainly hope that isn't what you meant, and I hope you aren't saying that's what you have been doing either!

As for your other statement, I don't think taxpayer care one bit about fines and penalties that are imposed on us.

• Like 1