ATX Community

ACA situation

neilbrink

19 year old is still being claimed on her parents' tax return, had $18,000.00 of income, and had NO health insurance during the year. (Neither did the parents, she is telling me.) I am doing her tax return, not the parents. I am assuming that the parents need to handle this on their return, but how do I handle the reporting of this on her tax return?

She does not check the box on 61 and does not file form 8965 for the penalty. Only one 8965 is filed per tax household, and in this case the parents will file that. Under "Who Must File" in the instructions to 8965:

caution.gif

Only one Form 8965 should be filed for each tax household. If you can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer, you do not need to file Form 8965 and do not owe a shared responsibility payment.

Don't forget that this young lady provided or NOT provided more than 50% of her own support based on the circumstances. That's why I like to do both returns.

If she is a dependent, remember to add her income when using the exemptions on the parents return.

I wonder if the box on line 61 of 1040 gets grey out when someone is filing as a dependent (I doubt it).

• Like 2