ATX Community

Minnesota Stops Accepting Returns Filed With TurboTax, Cites Fraud Concerns

Elrod

Rumors started flying about potential problems earlier this week and there were whispers that the Gopher State might stop accepting TurboTax returns as a result. Those rumors were confirmed by the Minnesota Department of Revenue which posted the following notice on their website:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2015/02/06/minnesota-stops-accepting-returns-filed-with-turbotax-cites-fraud-concerns/

In regard to Turbo Tax.  I had a new client yesterday who did his taxes on TT last year.  He didn't print a copy.  Since he is a new client and I always like to see the prior year return, he went online on my computer to access his 2013 return; which he had been told would always be available online.  It is available all right; but in order to access it you have to purchase the program for the current year.  If anyone has ever questioned my vendetta against anything Intuit; you can believe that this only made it worse.  Unbelievable!

• Like 4

On their web site it says "Free"...and for the first time ever "States are Free"

So...you get what you pay for!

Yes, it IS free; with the purchase of the 2014 program.   Or, you can go deeper and purchase it for $39.  I told him not to bother.  If it was simple enough for him to do on TT, I can reconstruct it, if I have to.  This is the client who moved to WI from VA. 

Yes, it IS free; with the purchase of the 2014 program.   Or, you can go deeper and purchase it for $39.  I told him not to bother.  If it was simple enough for him to do on TT, I can reconstruct it, if I have to.  This is the client who moved to WI from VA. 

The taxpayer can go online to the IRS site to get a variety of transcripts online without you having reconstruct the return. That is available for the current processing year and the 3 prior processing years.  The FAQs says it takes about 3 weeks for the transcript in electronic format, so using this would depend on how big a hurry someone is in. It's definitely not an optimal solution, but might be a consideration for a return of a more complex nature.

get transcript

transcript type and method of delivery

get transcript FAQs

The taxpayer can go online to the IRS site to get a variety of transcripts online without you having reconstruct the return. That is available for the current processing year and the 3 prior processing years.  The FAQs says it takes about 3 weeks for the transcript in electronic format, so using this would depend on how big a hurry someone is in. It's definitely not an optimal solution, but might be a consideration for a return of a more complex nature.

get transcript

transcript type and method of delivery

get transcript FAQs

I know, Judy, but a transcript is nothing like having all the i's dotted and the t's crossed.  I doubt that last year was all that complicated.  This year, with the income splitting, two states, moving expenses, four jobs, etc will be the much more difficult one.  One of his new co-workers sent him here.  I have only met him once and he doesn't have all of his info from VA yet.  It is the principal of the thing.  As Jack said, TT is good for our businesses.