ATX Community

Taking a long time to approve a simple tax return

Dan

I e-filed a very simple tax return for a 17 yr. old client with only one w-2 in order for the client to get the refund.

When I go to the web site and enter the information in - "Where is my refund,"  I get the return has been received, but as yet, it has not said its been approved.  Why is it taking so long to get approved?

The tax return was e-filed on Feb. 4.

What do you do in this situation?

Edited by Dan

I e-filed a very simple tax return for a 17 yr. old client with only one w-2 in order for the client to get the refund.

When I go to the web site and enter the information in - "Where is my refund,"  I get the return has been received, but as yet, it has not said its been approved.  Why is it taking so long to get approved?

The tax return was e-filed on Feb. 4.

What do you do in this situation?

Wait.  It is your only course of action.

Dan:

Tell you client that the return has been accepted by the IRS, and what happens next is up to the IRS.  And bow out.

Personally, if a client wanted me to check "Where's My Refund"  at the IRS, I would ask them "Where's my check?"

You get your refund, when it gets there.

Please....

If there is a problem, then that is known in 5-6 weeks.  THEN I will get involved...

Rich

• Like 2

This is another of those situations where it pays to migrate clients over to e-mail & text communication. Email them the link to "Where's My Refund?" and then let them check it to their heart's content. If they call (or hopefully email or text you) to ask about it, just say you don't have any more info than they are getting from the web site.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 1

Dan,

I don't blame you for being concerned that your client's Federal return didn't show as accepted for so long! It would be a different situation with a state return, but I still would check on the status if it wasn't accepted within a reasonable time frame.

Our follow up in a situation like you had is the reason we are paid to prepare a client's rteturn....and as Federal returns are usually (100% of the time in my case) accepted or rejected within hours, I definitely would at least have contacted the E-File help desk to make sure the return didn't hang in limbo because of possibly a freaky glitch somewhere. Referrals are our best advertisement and they are free.....and they occur if your clients' returns are treated as your own.

Just a little "food for thought".

Cathy

They were looking on "Where's my refund."  That is entirely different than being accepted.

People are going to have to learn not to be so impatient.  Chaps me when the IRS is slow, and the client asks ME why it is taking the IRS so long.  They choose NOT TO LISTEN when I tell them refunds are being delayed and there is NO TIME FRAME published by the IRS.

Rant over!!