ATX Community

IRS Identity Verification

Margaret CPA in OH

Client just received a letter from IRS. LTR 5071C, requesting additional information before processing the 2014 return. GOOD THING!  I haven't prepared it yet.

They can go online (I looked at the first couple of screens) or call "a toll-free IRS telephone number" without providing said phone number.  I went to IRS website to try to find some more about this and a number to call (NOT 1-800-529-1040) but found nothing.  I think it's pretty clear we have identity theft here but a good number to call would be helpful. Got Number?

They have a complicated return and an LLC and this will be a fine mess, Ollie!

Client just received a letter from IRS. LTR 5071C, requesting additional information before processing the 2014 return. GOOD THING!  I haven't prepared it yet.

They can go online (I looked at the first couple of screens) or call "a toll-free IRS telephone number" without providing said phone number.  I went to IRS website to try to find some more about this and a number to call (NOT 1-800-529-1040) but found nothing.  I think it's pretty clear we have identity theft here but a good number to call would be helpful. Got Number?

They have a complicated return and an LLC and this will be a fine mess, Ollie!

Treat it just the same way you would if their return had been rejected due to someone unauthorized using their SS#.  The IRS process is exactly the same.

Service options. The IRS is providing information in several ways ranging from a special section on IRS.gov devoted to identity theft to a special phone number available for victims to obtain assistance and resource information for resolving tax issues. The IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit is available at 1-800-908-4490.

Margaret, the above came from this page on the IRS site:  http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Combats-Identity-Theft-and-Refund-Fraud-on-Many-Fronts-2014

More, this page says that # is for those that have already contacted IRS and have not reached a resolution.  I might be inclined to call that # though because I've heard some horror stories about hold times when calling in on the main numbers any more:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Identity-Theft-Information-for-Tax-Preparers

• Like 1

You can pro-actively get an IRS-issued 5-digit PIN to prevent someone from using your ssn to file a fraudulent return.  

Some folks on another tax board are doing this for their clients; I just did it for my family.  If you know the ssn's it takes about 10 seconds including the time to print (or save as pdf).

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request

• Like 3