ATX Community

1099-B and Options

MsTabbyKats

Client works for Microsoft and exercised some options.

This is on his 1099-B

The rep at Fidelity told him NOT to use the figures on the 1099-B...but to use the supplemental information...or it would be duplicating income.

Logically....it makes sense.

However....I thought the 1099-B was supposed to reflect everything and not be tampered with.

I don't want the client to get "a letter"....yet I don't want him to overpay.

Anyone else ever "not use the 1099-B"?

I start with the 1099-B and make sure the proceeds match.  Then, I turn to the supplemental information for basis information and other details.  If covered, and SI doesn't match 1099-B, then I have to report adjustments.  If uncovered, I stick with SI info.  And, then I have to make sure I agree with stock option basis, that the SI really included the W-2 code V.  If not, more adjustments.  I think it got more complicated this year for preparers.

• Like 1

Right, adjustments have two parts.  In my software, I pick a code from drop-down menu for one box and then put the amount of the adjustment in the next box.  Watch your input/read the input screens, look at how it appears on 8949 (is it what you expect?), and read the diagnostics.  I sometimes have to change a number to a negative number in an adjustment.

Also, it depends on whether the 1099 B uses Codes A or D  for "covered" transactions.  If they used B or E for non-covered, then they didn't send the basis to IRS.  You don't have to use an adjustment code.  Just report the correct basis regardless of what's on the 1099B.