ATX Community

Client doesn't qualify but had credit

Margaret CPA in OH

Client had PTC but doesn't qualify and has to pay back. But return check says to leave fields blank. If I do that and ignore the 1095A, she doesn't have to repay the credit which I don't think is correct as she does have to repay. It even says on Line 29 to enter that amount on 1040 line 46. Ideas?

She probably wouldn't be averse to paper filing as she owes now big time.

Margaret you are correct they have to repay the PTC. This usually is result from under estimating their income. Had one this morning with the same thing. Does ATX pull from the 1095A input? I haven't used ATX for a number of years is why I am asking. My program does this without a hitch.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest flaw in the new program I see is having participants estimate their income rather than using the income from the prior year such as Pell grants are awarded. It's almost impossible to make an accurate estimate especially for self employed individuals which is one group that was advertised would benefit from Obamacare. A work around, of course, is to not accept the premium credit until the end of the tax year, however there are those who couldn't afford insurance at 100% of the premium during the year.

The biggest flaw in the new program I see is having participants estimate their income rather than using the income from the prior year such as Pell grants are awarded. It's almost impossible to make an accurate estimate especially for self employed individuals which is one group that was advertised would benefit from Obamacare. A work around, of course, is to not accept the premium credit until the end of the tax year, however there are those who couldn't afford insurance at 100% of the premium during the year.

If we are going to be stuck with this law, at least they could use the prior year income, and then allow for changes if there is a "life event".  They already have a mechanism for that to open enrollment, so why not use the prior year, and if you can document that your income in the coming year will be less, then you go through the estimating thing and take your chances.

I like your thinking on this Cathy.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 3

I agree but the other problem is those who won't report a life changing event that affects the PTC.

Agreed there will be many ---- but that is something we as a country need to change anyway ---- If the people themselves will not bother ---- then they are responsible and have to live with it.

Personal responsibility is GREAT --- otherwise too many people say --- why bother, someone will feel sad (and take care of me (even when I would not myself))) .

Nothing more said as it gets into morals and such ......   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Margaret,

You didn't say why your client wasn't qualified for the credit. Too much income (over 400% of poverty level) and entire credit has to be repaid. Under 100% of poverty level and the payback is capped at a much lower payback. Pay close attention to the form.

Margaret,

Two of my clients whom I tipped off to the coverage because the primary taxpayer's  parkinson disease had progressed to the point he no longer could work, had a total withdrawal of $200K from a 401(k).  Did they bother to mention to me when they decided on the withdrawal?  Of course not!

And, as your client, mine had to pay back 100% of the PTC as their final income was over 800% of the poverty level.  Just another reason why it would be better to use the prior year's income in calculating the PTC.  As the $200k was withdrawn toward the end of 2014, it would make more sense for the taxpayers to not receive a subsidy in 2015 as they have enough funds NOW to pay 100% of their 2015 total premium.

It all goes back to the tip my dil (a 20 year employee with BCBS) gave me anyway!  "You're not licensed to sell insurance.  Tell your client(s) to contact an insurance agent from one of the companies on the marketplace if they are not able to obtain a policy online themselves."  All I can do is to continue to tell each client to let me know BEFORE they make a financial decision on withdrawals, etc. so I can tell them the tax consequence BEFORE they decide. And, now, in addition to income taxes, I tell them to contact their insurance agent also to see what ramifications the withdrawal will have on their subsidized insurance.  I can suggest the withdrawal might cause them to pay back part or all of their subsidy, but strongly suggest that they contact their insurance agent/company to report the change and find out exactly what the effect the withdrawal will have. 

We have to walk a fine line and COA at the same time.  The clients blame their agent (and not me, thanks to my dil's advice) for not telling them to report changes in income during the year...which I find hard to believe, but am grateful the monkey isn't on my back!

Just a little editorial but it may be helpful for others to read later.

Take care,

Cathy

• Like 1

Margaret,

You didn't say why your client wasn't qualified for the credit. Too much income (over 400% of poverty level) and entire credit has to be repaid. Under 100% of poverty level and the payback is capped at a much lower payback. Pay close attention to the form.

For the record:

To clarify my above post, if the MAGI is less than 100% of the poverty level, pay particular attention to Line 6 and the instructions.  There is a tab at the bottom of the form on the screen "Pt 1 - HI below FPL".  If taxpayer can check either Box A or Box B under the tab, he/she is eligible for the PTC. If the taxpayer can't check either box, then the payback is capped at a much lower payback.