ATX Community

It looks like I will have something to do after April 15th

rfassett

Today is the day we started telling folks coming in that we will be extending their return.  So far no one has balked.  But in the seven hours since we opened this morning, we have had 10 returns come in - 2 corps, 1 partnership, and 7 individuals.  I suspect that pace will maintain through at least the end of next week. 

• Like 3

I love it when they don't balk. I always have one or two that freak out. Last year, a potential new guy just couldn't take the idea of having it done April 22 rather than 15. Went to a free service. Came back in July: "Can you amend this return for me, and forgive me?" Saw him last week and it's love all around now. God made extensions for a reason, people, staauup yer unbelief. Amen and amen.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 8

I had a former client from 10 years ago call today. They've been doing it themselves and have 3 states involved!  They didn't balk at the extension, but they also have a notice for an unreported mutual fund sale from 2013 that must be answered by 4/15, and they don't have the 1099-B or basis pulled together yet!  Yeah, I shouldn't have answered that call.

• Like 5

April 22?  I am telling my folks it will be late June at the very, very earliest.  I have enough catch up work (non-tax) to keep me busy until then.  And for the balance of April - when we get back from our very brief time away from the office - we are committed to quarterly stuff.  Then I have 3 IRS audits going on that I am knee deep in and the auditors have been gracious enough to tread water until late April.  Then I have a financial statement audit that has to be done in May.  And I have a half dozen non-profits that are due May 15th and some fiscal ye corps due May, June and July.  Again, that is besides all of the other stuff I have to catch up.  So we will not even be looking at these extensions until late June.

We are up to 14 checked in today and only one has balked.  She needs to have it filed on time so social security will adjust her medicare withholding back down.  She had a high income year last year.  I guess her concern wasn't as important during the past couple of months when she could have gotten her stuff in here.  She stood out front deliberating whether to leave her stuff or take it somewhere else.  I guess her love for us won out.  She is on extension here.

• Like 3

April 22?  I am telling my folks it will be late June at the very, very earliest.

Oh, yeah, most of my extensions will be done way after April 22, but I could see he might drop dead right there in my office, and I was trying to win him as a client and/or keep him alive. Was willing to put him at the top of the stack. Well, that went over like a fart in a spacesuit - he was one of those terrified of audit or something. Got him this year plus amended the one I didn't do, so it worked out.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 1

Had a voice mail this AM from a guy who cancelled his first appointment and didn't come back for several weeks because "he was busy".  Voice mail said "I am desperate for my tax return!"  Wish I had been home.  Would  have told him to come and pick up his stuff as I am desperate to get the other 54 on hold done; and more coming in every day.

• Like 4

I had one earlier in the season, started calling and checking on the "progress" about four days in. I called her and told her she could come and pick up her forms and take them elsewhere, no hard feelings. She said, "Well, I needed the refund a month ago."

I had to bite my tongue to keep form saying, "Well, then, I needed your forms six weeks ago. That's how this works." I am so glad to be rid of her.

• Like 7