ATX Community

All I have is.... RIGHT

mrichman333

Do you ever get the client that call on the phone for a price, and you ask what tax documents they have.  And they so oh all I have is SS and a pension and property taxes and mortgage interest.  So you give them a price based on that.  Then when they come in the  basket full of stuff.  They have 5 1099MISC with the amount in box 7.  Oh I'm a musician on the side.  I purchased all this equipment...amps.... I have travel expenses and advertising....   The 1099R oh about 5 of them also.

I was so B/Oed.  

• Like 2

Nope - hasn't happened to me for a very long time.  We do not quote prices on the phone anymore other than, "our minimum fee for the most basic simplest of tax returns is $200.  It goes up from there based on a number of things like complexity and how many papers we have to look at.  We will be happy to quote you a more firm price for our services after we have seen your information.  Please drop it off at your convenience and we will call you with a price before we begin work."

I can do that because I am no longer actively looking for work.  I have enough to keep me busy for some time to come.  Most new work we get now comes from referral and those folks never ask about price because the referring person has already told them about our fees.

Had a referral walk in yesterday.  It seems his previous preparer has retired.  His comment when he dropped off his stuff was, "she (the previous accountant) used to spread all of my stuff out on the table and she would do the return while I waited."  Sorry - that is not how we fly.  Leave your stuff and we will do your return when we get to it.  Oh, and by the way, your return will be extended.  Oh, and by the way, don't expect to hear from us before July.  I think it is always a good idea to abuse the client right from the get go,  He left his stuff.  We will see him again in July.

• Like 7

I have found that it is best to quote a minimum for a basic return - 1040, state and Sch A.  Anything more than that will have fees based on any additional forms and number of entries and in some cases additional time involved.

That way the potential client doesn't get to define "basic return", I do.

It seems to work.

• Like 3

I think it is always a good idea to abuse the client right from the get go...

Greatest thing I ever heard. Not even kidding. Lordy, I am taking a class from you in August. Not July, cause you're obligated to that referral who left there going, "I did this to myself. I must have secretly wanted it. I mean, just look how I'm dressed..."

• Like 7

Greatest thing I ever heard. Not even kidding. Lordy, I am taking a class from you in August. Not July, cause you're obligated to that referral who left there going, "I did this to myself. I must have secretly wanted it. I mean, just look how I'm dressed..."

Something about "fifty shades there..."

I start at $200 and go from there.

My SS and Capital Loss C/Forward is the only reason to file guy showed up. 

Yep, that is all.  Except for the fact that he lived in Mexico the last three years and all his money is stuffed away in peso's in a the National Bank De Mexicala....

Can you say: "FinCen Reporting"  Yes, I know you could.

Rich

• Like 3

I say starting at $500, partly to get rid of the whining price shoppers and partly 'cause this is pricey Fairfield County and partly 'cause I'd like to stop taking new clients.  I have lots and lots and lots below that price, but they've been with me a long time.  Oh, and I almost always put new clients on extension so I have time to review their prior returns, ask them lots of questions, answer their questions, etc.  Abuse right from the beginning.

Edited by Lion EA
  • Like 3

Some pearls seem to be missing...?.. :D

• Like 1