ATX Community

HELP WITH 3115 AND RENTAL DEPRECIATION ON AMENDED RETURN PLEASE

WITAXLADY

2011 return - sold rental and never took depreciation - so amending for it

so I assume I should file a 3115 - so I can write it all off in 1 year - read the instructions and the list of accounting methods so I can put a code on the Simple Method lines

Now I am stuck - please help - coming Monday and of course this needs to get mailed...

what do I put or fill out to do this properly?

any help would be appreciated to finalize the return - about $5,000 refund. 

Thank you

2011 return - sold rental and never took depreciation - so amending for it

so I assume I should file a 3115 - so I can write it all off in 1 year - read the instructions and the list of accounting methods so I can put a code on the Simple Method lines

Now I am stuck - please help - coming Monday and of course this needs to get mailed...

what do I put or fill out to do this properly?

any help would be appreciated to finalize the return - about $5,000 refund. 

Thank you

I didn't think we were allowed to make the 481(a) adjustment in the final year, but someone posted in another thread about it and a rev proc that said we can.  Here is that topic: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

You'll have to look at that Rev Proc 2011-14 to see if you think it applies. The pertinent sections are:

Scope - Sec 4 .01,  sec 4 .02 and especially sec 4 .02(5)  and

Terms and Condition of Change - Sec 5 .04(3)© for ceasing to engage in trade/business or terminating business, but please see the appendix reference. 

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot more time right now.  I just finished inputting all the details for one last night. I thought was only 46 assets, turned out to be 59(!) and I still have to check all of that.

When you say "what do I put or fill out to do this properly?"  do you have a specific question on that form 3115?  It's really hard to answer a question like that, or do you not know where to even start with that form?

Oh, bummer, forgot what was way up on OP.  2011.  Well, do your best.  Your software can compute what depreciation should be.  I do follow Lisa's booklet re filling out the form.  I know that the IRS does not have time to read all the 3115s they're getting this year, so don't stress over the form.  Just get it in the mail and in the return and put the 481(a) adjustment on the E under other expenses.  You're just trying to get that adjustment in the amendment to improve your client's tax situation.

Make sure you download her free Excel-based attachment for providing detail on each asset.  Using the same format over and over does increase speed.

Yep, I too have some on extension.  Not big enough for cost segs.  Rentals, where the adjustment is probably in the clients' favor and where the safe-harbor-type of audit protection is worth scrubbing their depreciation schedules, because these are DIY bookkeepers.

• Like 2