ATX Community

Playing the Waiting Game

mcb39

I have a couple of clients who filed and were accepted in February and still have not received their returns.  The IRS site says that they are still being processed.  I called the Practitioners line this AM and after much hemming and hawing and sitting on hold, I got the exact same message from them.  "The returns are still being processed!"  No rhyme!  No reason!  Take it or leave it.  How do I explain that to clients who are checking "Where's my refund?" daily.  I understand that they have to learn to wait, BUT, for two and one half months; and no answers.  I fear the IRS system is badly broken.

One of these is a lady who will turn 94 in May and has been filing virtually the same return with a few ups and downs, for many years.  Don't they get that someone who is 94 might still have to file a tax return and get a refund?  I am thoroughly disillusioned today! :wall:

• Like 3

I have a couple of clients who filed and were accepted in February and still have not received their returns.  The IRS site says that they are still being processed.  I called the Practitioners line this AM and after much hemming and hawing and sitting on hold, I got the exact same message from them.  "The returns are still being processed!"  No rhyme!  No reason!  Take it or leave it.  How do I explain that to clients who are checking "Where's my refund?" daily.  I understand that they have to learn to wait, BUT, for two and one half months; and no answers.  I fear the IRS system is badly broken.

One of these is a lady who will turn 94 in May and has been filing virtually the same return with a few ups and downs, for many years.  Don't they get that someone who is 94 might still have to file a tax return and get a refund?  I am thoroughly disillusioned today! :wall:

Nothing you can do but wait.  I have never been able to get any information from the IRS about a delayed refund.  It is in their court and no one else is allowed in.

• Like 1

Nothing you can do but wait.  I have never been able to get any information from the IRS about a delayed refund.  It is in their court and no one else is allowed in.

My life is all about "waiting" these days.  That includes waiting to finish extensions and waiting for clients to pick up and pay for extended returns.  

Have a client in the same circumstances. However the practitioner help line person I connected to (after 2 hr. 57 min. on hold) was good enough to check and find that the return had been placed into a "non-processing" area where they wait for 6-9 weeks to see if any other action is needed. The representative's "guess" was that the person had a past history of someone stealing their identity and the "service" was doing the wait -- because of being careful.    My client did have identity theft issues pass few years (nothing with IRS or government, just credit cards) and actually understood what the IRS had done (NOT pleased but understood).  We will await the weeks left and HOPE the feds do not "forget" about the return (as my client stated and I had shared with the IRS rep.        When I shared my clients concern about the IRS "forgetting about the return"; the IRS rep. said that the IRS does not forget and agreed with me when I told him, yes the IRS has been called a "lot of things"  BUT forgetful is NOT one of them.

Was hoping your mentioning this would bring me luck --- just checked --- return still being processed -- no luck --- more waiting...

The refunds that have been held up have been for identity issues, 1095A issues, and Schedule C issues. Any return a human must look at will take a long time.

None of the above in the cases that I have cited.  I am well aware of the 1095A and identity issues.  Those clients get a letter.