ATX Community

Community a little slow?

Eric

I was a little worried about how the new software would run, and things just don't feel as snappy as they used to.

I imagine it'd get even worse around tax season when the site is under heavy load.

I have a new server being built this very moment with much beefier hardware including a RAID 10 array of SSD drives.  I'll most likely do the migration this week, but the downtime should only last a few hours. 

I'm going to try to get it done in the evening. 

• Like 4

I typed that from my phone.  That was exhausting.

So, I know nobody is looking forward to another period of downtime, but I think the wait will be worth it.  All of your donations around the end of tax season made the upgrade possible, so I'd like to take advantage of it right away.

You might not notice a huge difference, but I measure website performance in milliseconds, and the new software is measurably slower on the existing hardware.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any lag in using it to read, post, or poke around to familiarize myself with the new layout, but I did think it was odd that I received a notification this morning that you had quoted me last night. That was rather strange to have that appear 12 hrs later.  Also, I saw a new user registering that isn't appearing as the newest member, but her user name appears if I search for that member.  Member list is missing too.

Should I stop being a pest by mentioning these types of things while you are still working on the site and ironing out the kinks?

Edited by jklcpa

Feel free to bring up any features/items that you miss from the old forum and I'll look to see if they have been removed or simply disabled by default in the new software.  I'll check out the Members list soon.

I have a feeling that the member you're talking about registered, but hasn't yet validated their account by clicking the link in their email.  There may be issues with email deliverability, but I'm not going to troubleshoot them on the existing server with a move happening very soon.

• Like 1

Members list has been removed, and functionality moved to the search.  If you miss the tab at the top, I can create one that brings you right to a members search.

You can manage your attachments by clicking your name at the top-right, and choosing My Attachments from the list... I'll also increase the limit to 20mb.  I worry about increasing it too much because we have a lot of members and SSD drive space isn't cheap :)

I might also suggest dropbox for sharing docs publicly?

Edited by Eric
test
  • Like 1

Members list has been removed, and functionality moved to the search.  If you miss the tab at the top, I can create one that brings you right to a members search.

You can manage your attachments by clicking your name at the top-right, and choosing My Attachments from the list... I'll also increase the limit to 20mb.  I worry about increasing it too much because we have a lot of members and SSD drive space isn't cheap :)

I might also suggest dropbox for sharing docs publicly?

It seems there is no "managing" them because there's no delete function that allows that.

I tested deleting an attachment in a post where I'd used a pdf, and I converted it to quoting from the source or linking to another site, so that appears to work.  I did that with some old posts by getting rid of the pdfs. No content changed and it saved space.  I'll remember to do it that in future or use some other method of sharing, so there's no need to increase the size, especially if that is costing you more money. I was not aware that would cost you more. Thank you for making that clear.

Edited by jklcpa
  • Like 1

​It seems there is no "managing" them because there's no delete function that allows that.

​It's there, but it won't allow you to delete attachments that have been included in a post.

It provides a link to the posts that you have included the attachments in... if you go to those posts, edit them to remove the attachments, you then have an option to delete from My Attachments.  It's kind of a pain, but it's a feature to help keep broken links/images to a minimum.

Edited by Eric

One other problem, we no longer have ANY time to edit without the "edited" message showing up.  You can uncheck the box all you want, but it does not work.  Hope you can fix that.

​KC and Eric, it took me a while to figure out how to change titles of posts to fix typos now.  FYI, that ability is still there but now it's part of editing the first post in the topic to edit the title.

I STILL  have trouble with the contrasts of the different fonts, especially on the home page.  the light gray is almost impossible to read even on my 24 inch monitor.

​Can you give me an example of the text that you're finding difficult to read?  If I know exactly what text to adjust, I can darken it a bit.

... especially if that is costing you more money. I was not aware that would cost you more. Thank you for making that clear.

​I should make it a little more clear, I think.  It's not as if uploading more images or documents directly affects the amount of money spent on hosting.  

My server has a number of SSD drives in an array, and that available space is used for websites, data redundancy, and for daily backups of those sites.  Each site has a quota for certain resources which can not be exceeded.  I've dedicated about 25GB of drive space to this site, which we're not close to using up... so making a small change to attachment limits is really just a drop in the bucket.  Few members fully utilize their full attachment space, so it's a very small drop.

I'm not sure.  I'm looking at my tiny 13" laptop screen and everything seems easy to read.  Perhaps it's a monitor calibration thing?

I've darkened up the medium grey fonts, but I'm not sure it's making anything more readable.  If anything, I feel like the medium grey text now blends in with the dark grey text where they're adjacent, making things a little less readable.

I'm going to put it back for now until Michael can respond with specific text that I can target and change the color of.

I've darkened both the default text and the medium grey text so that they're both still distinguishable.  Also further darkened the border around each post.

If it still looks very faint to you, is there another computer/monitor/tablet/phone you could view the site on for comparison to see if it's possibly a calibration issue? (brightness/contrast being off)  If that's the case, I can point you to sites/tools for monitor calibration.

Edited by Eric

There are a few elements that are very faint, and almost invisible until you hover nearby.  Report Post shows up when you move your mouse over any part of a post.  Same for the little icon to share a post, or hide a signature.  Also, on the Topic List, the page numbers associated with a thread on the Topic List.  They don't really show up until you hover over a specific topic.  

It's a design decision, I think.  There are a lot of features and interface elements, and giving them all the same visual weight leads to an overwhelming and cluttered UI.  Only showing some elements on hover helps to minimize that.

• Like 3

Most of my comments are already covered. I agree that the text of the actual contents of a post are still a bit too light.

Today I am using my 13" Toshiba Chromebook, which has a pretty good display. The only other thing is the sign in lag is longer.